Thursday, January 20, 2011

Spinach, Mushroom & Black Bean Enchiladas

On Tuesday, it did nothing but rain and snow here in Boston. The dreary, chilly weather forced me to crave an apartment full of the smells of something baking in the oven. I knew I had some leftover frozen spinach at home, and, after much brainstorming, decided to incorporate the leafy green veggie into a Mexican-inspired dish.

Spinach, Mushroom & Black Bean Enchiladas
Yields: 4 servings

-1/2 bag frozen spinach
-5 white mushrooms, roughly chopped
-1 15.5 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese, divided
-1 10 oz. can mild enchilada sauce, divided
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1 tbsp. minced garlic
-Cayenne pepper
-Cumin
-Salt and black pepper
-4 whole wheat soft tortillas

Directions: 
1.) Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add frozen spinach and cook until mostly thawed. Add black beans and mushrooms; stir, and cook for 2 more minutes.

2.) Add garlic, and season with desired amount of cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper. Add 1/2 can of enchilada sauce and about 1/2 cup of the cheese, and stir until melted throughout.


3.) Prepare square casserole dish by greasing with a little olive (or canola) oil. Fill each tortilla with a few generous spoonfuls of the spinach mixture, and roll up like a sandwich wrap. Place each of the four tortillas open side-down in the casserole dish. Top enchiladas with the remainder of the cheese and enchilada sauce (I also had some leftover filling to put on top).

4.) Bake in 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve with brown rice and a dollop of sour cream.



Oh man. These came out good, if I do say so myself! And they are also really nutritious, if you can look past all that cheese. And thanks to the nutrients in the spinach and mushrooms, one enchilada left me perfectly satiated. 


Since I had most of the ingredients used in these enchiladas already in my kitchen, this entire meal cost me under $10. Here's the cost breakdown:

Black beans: $0.80
Mushrooms: $1.99
Sour cream: $0.99
Enchilada sauce: $1.79
Tortillas: $2.19
Cheese: $2
Total: $9.76

The best part about making four dinners for under $10? I didn't even use all of the sour cream, mushrooms or cheese - so I can still incorporate those in other recipes throughout the week and weekend.

How have you stretched a dollar lately?

6 comments:

  1. I've never made enchiladas, these look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reaching into my freezer a lot lately to use some of the proteins and veggies that I purchased in bulk and putting them to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm loooks good!! I love how everything cost you less than $10! I haven't made enchiladas in like a year, I will have to give these a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a vegetarian, I am an even bigger fan of this mouth-watering post! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly, you would LOVE these! So easy to make, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, I LOVE enchiladas, they are just so good! These look great. YUM!

    ReplyDelete