Friday, January 7, 2011

Dinner at Olde Magoun's Saloon

The other night, my cousin, Carolan, and I met up over some long overdue beers and dinner. Since she had a Groupon to Olde Magoun's Saloon in Somerville, we decided to meet up there.

I've been to Olde Magoun's once before for Trivia Tuesday, and I loved the pub-style atmosphere, diverse craft beer selection, and friendly service. I only ate some of their Saloon Nachos ($8) the first time I went, so I was excited to actually have dinner there this time around.

After catching up and perusing the menu for a few minutes (while sipping on Anderson Valley Winter Solstice Seasonal Ales), I finally decided on the Portobello Melto ($9.95), which consisted of a marinated portobello mushroom with grilled veggies, goat cheese and pesto between two slices of ciabatta bread.


This sandwich was surprisingly flavorful, and the thick, marinated mushroom complemented the tangy goat cheese and subtle pesto flavor beautifully. The bread to veggie ratio was a little off, but it was a delicious sandwich nonetheless.


At Magoun’s, you get your choice of side with your sandwich or burger (options include nacho chips, potato chips, homemade coleslaw, Cajun pasta salad, French fries, onion rings or a side salad). I opted for the French fries. The fries were definitely nothing special – clearly pre-frozen and ultra deep-fried – but I also wasn’t expecting hand-cut, gourmet potatoes. Plus, they were tasty – sometimes, bad food just tastes good.

Before Carolan and I parted ways, I enjoyed another beer: Mayflower Porter, one of my current favorites. I love how Magoun’s has a chalkboard above the bar of their current draft beers, too – it just adds to the local charm of the place. 

After having a decent dinner there, I think Magoun's is creeping up my list of favorite Somerville bars. I'm eager to go back, enjoy another delicious brew and sample some of their other pub fare (Beef Guinness Stew, anyone?).

Have you ever been to Olde Magoun's Saloon? If yes, what's your review?

Olde Magoun's Saloon on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. I don't know many restaurants in Somerville and I haven't heard of Olde Magouns but it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent ever been there but it sounds like a great option in the area- thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of it even though I live in Somerville. Sounds like another place I need to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely recommend it for a laid-back, no thrills evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this place either and I live close too! I'll add it to my list, I agree sometimes bad food is good food.

    ReplyDelete