Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Life-Changing Decision

As some of you may noticed, over the last few months, the recipes on my blog have become increasingly meat-less. And as most of you know, my other half is a vegetarian. Z and I have been dating for over two years, and during that time, I have eaten less and less meat. Two of the things we enjoy most are going out to eat and cooking together - and my palate has changed. When we go out to eat now, I find myself ordering breakfast sandwiches without bacon (I never thought that would happen), and choosing homemade black bean burgers over the beef or turkey varieties - all by choice.

In addition to my changing palate, I have also recently read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, and am now (finally) reading Fast Food Nation - two novels that have given me a horrific look into the meat-packing industry. I've discovered that the majority of meat I grew up eating isn't really meat at all. And since my diet has included less and less meat over time, I actually feel ill after eating a regular meal's worth of it.

Over the last several years, my almost meat-less diet has also made me feel better, mentally and physically. I can honestly say I've never felt healthier - and I've always been a pretty healthy girl. And at the end of the summer, Z and I will be moving in together - another exciting bit of news! - and I know I won't be cooking a steak in a pan that he will later have to cook his own vegetarian meal in.

So, earlier this week, I made the executive decision - after a long time coming - to become a full-blown vegetarian. Now, I still don't know if that includes me eating seafood or not - I am going to play that one by ear - but at this time, I'm planning on a lacto-ovo diet. And I'm pretty damn excited about it.

Now, this does not mean The EE will become an all vegetarian, all the time blog - no way. I still support eating meat 100%, and plan to have more guest blog posts with omnivorous recipes. I will also still support and promote local restaurant's events, etc. that involve meat. Nothing on this blog will change except for the fact that I won't be eating meat.

When I started out as a food writer back in 2005, I never thought the day would come that I would never eat meat again. I pored over Jeffrey Steingarten's work like an obsessive teenager, and dreamed of the day I would travel the world to eat things like Haggis, beef tongue, and other exotic dishes. But over time, and after falling in love with a vegetarian who has a passion for food as strong as mine, the desire to eat meat has increasingly diminished. I still plan to travel the world and do as many restaurant reviews as possible - it will just now be from a healthier, meat-less perspective. A perspective I secretly wish I developed years ago.

If you're not already a vegetarian - would you ever consider sticking to a vegetarian diet? Why or why not?

16 comments:

  1. I was a vegetarian for three years and it totally opened my world to so many different ingredients, flavors and tastes that I probably wouldn't have discovered if I wasn't meat-free! Congratulations on the decision and also congrats on moving in together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on both announcements! I like that you decided to go veg on your own and you still support meat eaters - sounds just like me. Interesting about the sharing meat + veg dishes, something I feel a little conflicted about coming from a Kosher home and being veg and dating a big meat eater. I'm excited to see more vegetarian recipes from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited for you! It is definitely a big step and Im sure will lead to a remarkable journey for you! I cant wait to follow a long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how it was a a natural progression into becoming a vegetarian, but congrats on the final decision! something about saying it aloud seems to validate what you already know! and congrats on moving in with Z. such a fun and exciting step for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see any way that I could ever be a vegetarian, but I do think more about the source of the meat I'm eating than I ever have before. Congrats on the big decision... and congrats on moving in together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on moving in together and going veg!! I went veg (and even tried vegan) for a few months. It was ok. Try as I might, I am just a picky eater who does not like vegetables. I read "Omnivore's Dilemma" as well and it helped me change what kind of meat I eat. I now order grass fed, free range, buffalo and ostrich meat from a farm in N.H. Man is this stuff good! Now that I'm pregnant I'm so glad I found this healthy humane way to enjoy meat, I really need the B vitamins it provides. But I totally support vegs and think, if it works for you, that's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on both your announcements! I was vegetarian for about 3 years as well, for no other reason than meat lost its taste for me. It's a great, healthy decision! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for the sweet comments! I had no idea some of you had been/are vegetarians. I appreciate all the great feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on both of your announcements!! That's all very exciting news, best of everything to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice. Your post makes me think that I could probably cut down my at home meat consumption. Especially since I love soy products. But I won't kid myself into thinking I could EVER be meat free while dining out. I do love it... Congrats on the next step with Z!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! I have been moving more flexitarian (not eating meat every day) and it's made me realize a) that I can get protein from many other sources and b) that I really enjoy challenging myself to experiment with veggies and flavors.
    Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on moving in! That's exciting news! And I'd be interested to hear about your vegetarian adventures and if you see big changes. While I don't think I'd be able to do that (I blame sausage) I admire those can and I do like making lots of vegetarian foods. Congrats and good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! I havent eaten any meat for 16 years, and its the best decision I could have made for my health! I have non stop energy! You will be happy with your decision! For a GREAT recipe for eggplant parmesan, check out my blog, also on blogger!

    http://bakingforachange.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks again everyone for the support! I am overwhelmed with appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on moving in together!! It's so exciting. I think its great that you're becoming a vegetarian. Hopefully reading your blog some more omnivores will start eating more vegetarian meals with your inspiration.

    I went vegetarian for lent once...And I try and have a couple vegetarian days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Exciting news on both fronts! I'm pretty certain that I could not be a full on vegetarian but, increasingly, my diet is comprised less and less of red meats and more with locally farmed veggies. Good luck with all these big steps :)

    ReplyDelete