Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vanilla Cupcakes with Amaretto Buttercream

Bring cupcakes to a New Year's party, and people forget about the booze...well, at least for 30 seconds.


Z and his cousin, Chris, hosted the New Year's Eve party this year, and I wanted to contribute something other than my charm and good looks....I knew they weren't buying much for dessert, so I decided to make a batch of cupcakes with a leftover box of Betty Crocker's vanilla cake mix that was in my pantry. I wanted to make these cupcakes extra special - and, preferably, "boozey," since it was New Year's Eve, after all - and I had a bottle of amaretto also in my pantry. After some Google searching, I came across this recipe for Amaretto Buttercream, and got to work. 

Amaretto Buttercream 
Yields enough frosting for about 18 cupcakes

-1/3 cup butter, softened
-2 1/2 tablespoons Amaretto
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
-2 cups powdered sugar
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-2 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted (I skipped these)

Directions: 
1.) Place 1/3 cup butter, liqueur, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. (I don't have a mixer, but I used a food processor for this step).
2.) Gradually add powdered sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt, beating just until smooth.
3.) Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes. (If you use the almonds, sprinkle them on top).



The frosting was very sweet - I think next time I'll omit the vanilla extract. However, I love the subtle cherry and almond flavors of amaretto, which blended beautifully with the moist, vanilla cake. Apparently, everyone at the party liked them, too - they were gobbled up before midnight!

How did you ring in the New Year?

7 comments:

  1. What a great way to add something extra to vanilla cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm. I really really really like amaretto so I just know I would absolutely enjoy cupcakes like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle and Bianca! I'm also a big fan of amaretto - I highly recommend these babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice witty post, I could go for one of those cupcakes right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amaretto sounds like an awesome addition to buttercream!

    We made fondue and sorbet... and stayed home... a quiet night for two.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, something to add amaretto to besides my morning coffee. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete