Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Best Way to Save Stock

I've been having issues buying chicken and vegetable stock. Most of the time, I only need a little stock in a recipe, like for baked chicken or pork. But stock is always packaged in boxes or cans in larger quantities that I need for one particular recipe, and the rest of the package goes bad too quickly for me to use it. I've tried freezing the leftover stock, but then never use all the leftovers after the initial de-thaw. What's a girl to do?

Courtesy of www.plasticbubbles.co.za/store.


My mother shared with me this brilliant idea: Pour the stock into ice cube trays and take out the amount you need every time. That way, no mass amount of leftover stock goes wasted, and it can last me as long as possible. Um....genius, right?! My mom said she's seen this trick on several cooking shows, but I have never even heard (or thought) of it. Now I can have a constant supply of stock in my kitchen, without wasting my money or leftover stock on a regular basis. 

Obviously, I'll just need to buy "stock-only" ice cube trays, so my homemade iced coffee doesn't start tasting like homemade soup. 

Have you ever heard of this trick before? Have I been living under a rock?

6 comments:

  1. I've definitely heard of this trick before. I tend to run through stock pretty quickly for braising and soups so I don't run into this problem often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't... What a great idea!!

    Happy Wednesday Darling! xo

    Have you entereted by $75 EmersonMade GIVEAWAY yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen, I haven't yet - thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard this... and I've heard you can do it with wine too. I keep promising myself I'll buy ice cube trays one of these days and get better about saving stock and wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to save stock! Also works well with pestos

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant idea! I'm definitely using this trick next time I make something with stock. I usually end up throwing out half the can! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete