Monday, January 10, 2011

Cheating on Risotto

On Friday night, I drove to New York City to surprise my best friend from college for her birthday. It was a long trip, but well worth the mileage. By the time I got home Saturday night, however, all I wanted was a comforting, home-cooked meal. I knew I had some orzo in my pantry, as well as a box of organic vegetable broth (they were 10 for $10 at Stop & Shop a few weeks ago), so I made do with what I already had in my kitchen.


Once I realized I also had some frozen spinach and parmesan cheese in my fridge, the idea came to me: easy, delicious 'risotto.' I call this dish "Cheating on Risotto" because I felt guilty making it - but it was oh-so-good eating it. 

Cheating on Risotto
Yields: 5-6 servings
-1 pound box orzo
-2 cups vegetable stock or other broth
-1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
-1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
-3 cups frozen spinach, cooked and thoroughly drained
-Salt and black pepper, to taste
-Squirt lemon juice

Directions: 
1.) Bring a pot of salty water to a boil, and cook orzo for 4-5 minutes, until softened but still hard in the center.
2.) In a separate saucepan, bring stock and thyme to a simmer. Add orzo and stir well.
3.) Simmer orzo in stock, stirring regularly, until all the liquid is absorbed.
4.) Off the heat, stir in cheese, butter and spinach, and season with salt and pepper. Squirt a small amount of lemon juice over the pasta and serve.


The end result: Luxurious, cheesy, perfectly cooked 'risotto.' It was the perfect meal to savor after a long trip - and to eat right before crawling into bed. 


What did you do this weekend?

6 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks fantastic! I did a lot of working out, relaxing and even some pampering (with a pedicure) this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum creative idea! I've "cheated" on risotto with quinoa, cooking it with broth instead of water, also works well! I had a pretty relaxing weekend with lots of good food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm sounds so good! I had a super busy weekend too, lots of errands and going out. But it was fun and I ate a lot of good food. I pretty much crashed into bed last night though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you all had a great weekend! And Melissa, I didn't even think of using quinoa - thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't love risotto, but I would love it if it were made with orzo. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually used quinoa with 1 cup butternut squash soup and 1 cup water - turned out creamy and delish!

    ReplyDelete