Friday, January 28, 2011

Dinner at Ole Mexican Grill + First Attempt at Video

On Wednesday evening, Z and I used his Rue La La coupon and enjoyed (basically) a free meal at Ole Mexican Grill in Cambridge.


To celebrate my new meat-free diet, we started our meal with a Silver Flight of tequila, which included a shot of Sauza Tres Generaciones, Herradura Blanco, El Tesoro Platinu and a spicy tomato juice chaser.


The waitress brought us some complimentary chips and fresh, smoky salsa, and then we ordered the housemade guacamole ($10), prepared right at our table. (See below for my first video attempt - complete with a cameo by Z):


The finished product.


Oh man. Ole's guacamole is hands down the best I've ever tasted. The avocados used were perfectly ripe, and there was a perfect amount of fresh cilantro, tomatoes, lime juice and red onion. I even told Z I could eat their guac with a spoon. It was that good.

Since we filled up on chips and tequila, Z and I decided to order some of Ole's small plates for our entrees.  Like the bad blogger that I am, I didn't write down the names/prices for these dishes - and for whatever reason, they're not listed on Ole's website. But, I can say that both of our meals were delicious and perfectly portioned after scarfing down a vat of guac. Z went for the corn pudding, which was served with fresh beets and a delightful, well seasoned sauce. The corn pudding was crispy on the outside, with a soft, corn-bread-like inside.


I ordered the roasted poblano pepper stuffed with ooey, gooey cheese and garnished with a pureed, refried bean-type sauce - and smothered with more cheese. 


Our meal at Ole is one of the best meals I've had out at a restaurant in a while. The food was spectacular - and the menu options were surprisingly authentic and innovative - the staff was friendly and attentive, and the atmosphere was clean and inviting. I can't wait to go back!

What's your favorite Mexican restaurant in the Boston area?

Olé Mexican Grill on Urbanspoon


8 comments:

  1. Bret and I bought the RueLaLa coupon too so I can't wait to check Ole out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I graduated from college I moved to Inman Square and my first meal in my new neighborhood was at Ole! You are absolutely right - incredible guacamole. It's a beautiful restaurant and the food is always fresh and fantastic! Loved the video! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo glad you guys had such a great time! I agree on their Guacamole is insane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tableside guac preparation is usually indicative of a great meal to come. glad you were impressed. What I could go for right now is that tequila flight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could eat any guac with a spoon! I do like Ole, but I also really enjoyed Lolita's guac when we went there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casa Romero in the back bay is my favorite Mexican food, but I love any Mexican food. SO yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice video! The food looks great, have to make it out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried their Guac yesterday, SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete