Monday, January 17, 2011

Hummus Turkey Burgers

It's amazing how some blog posts can inspire dinner. Last week, I came across this post on Cooking Whims for Hummus Turkey Burgers with Cucumber-Feta Cheese. Sounds fantastic, right? Well, the recipe (and photos) had me craving these gems all damn day at work, so by the time I got home, I, naturally, had to make them - with a few modifications, due to what was already in my kitchen.

I had to buy the ground turkey meat (I bought organic, which only cost $1 more than the "other" packages) and the whole wheat rolls, but otherwise, I just used what was already in my kitchen. Here's my modified recipe.

Hummus Turkey Burgers 
Yields: 4 burgers

-1 package organic ground turkey
-1/2 cup hummus, plus extra for spreading (I used a combo of Trader Joe's original and roasted red pepper)
-Dried parsley
-Cumin
-Salt and black pepper to taste
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-4 slices cheddar cheese
-8 tomato slices
-Toasted whole wheat burger buns

Directions:
1.) Mix the turkey, hummus, parsley and cumin in a bowl. Season with your desired amount of salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 4 patties.

2.) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add the patties and cook until browned and cooked through. This can take anywhere from 5-7 minutes on each side. They’re done when there is no pink in the center of the burger. (Organic turkey meat is also a lot more delicate than "regular" turkey, so just be extra careful when flipping). Add a slice of cheese to each burger once there's 1-1 1/2 minutes left of cooking time, so cheese melts accordingly.

3.) Spread some hummus on each half of the burger buns. Set the burger on top and garnish with the tomato slices (2 slices per burger).


I served my turkey burgers with some baked sweet potato fries, seasoned with salt, pepper and a little chili powder.


Now, I love a good turkey burger, but the addition of the hummus made them incredibly moist. The roasted red pepper flavor also added a nice "kick" to the burger's flavor. Even using organic meat made a huge - in a positive way - difference in the texture and taste. I will definitely be making these again! Plus, burgers are easy to freeze, so if you only eat two, you can easily freeze four for a future lunch or dinner.

Do you normally buy organic meat? Why or why not?

5 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds great, but that cucumber-feta cheese drew me in, so I'd definitely go with that over cheddar. But I think it's great you were able to mostly use stuff you had on hand! And I bet the roasted red pepper hummus was great in this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds fantastic! I recently made beef and zucchini burgers and the small little addition made a huge difference in adding moisture to the burger. I can totally imagine how much moisture the hummus added to the turkey burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baked sweet potato fries are my favorite!! I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I may have to make this in the next few weeks. Burgers plus hummus? That equals love

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow, what a fabulous idea with adding hummus in there!! must remember that :) I have started to buy organic (or more humanely-rasied) meat and dairy when i can afford to...

    ReplyDelete