Thursday, January 13, 2011

Nutella Brownies

Oh yes. I went there.

Due to yesterday's blizzard here in Boston, I had the luxury of working from home. Once the afternoon rolled around, I needed a pick-me-up - it gets tiring doing work all day in your pajamas on the couch. I flipped through a few of my cookbooks, and came across a recipe for Double Chocolate Brownies in the Easy Chocolate cookbook. I didn't have any semisweet chocolate or white chocolate chips, as the original recipe asked for - but, I did have Nutella.

Nutella Brownies
Yields: 9 servings

-1/2 cup butter (or 1 stick), softened, plus extra for greasing
-1/2 cup Nutella
-1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
-Pinch of salt
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-2 eggs
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a square cake pan with butter.
2.) Place the butter and Nutella in a saucepan; stir on low heat until smooth.


3.) Let cool slightly. Stir in the sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring well until blended.
4.) Add the flour and cocoa to the brownie batter and beat until smooth.


5.) Pour the batter into the greased cake pan.
6.) Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is evenly colored and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean.
7.) Cut brownies into squares and devour.


Let me just start off by saying if you don't have a sweet tooth, don't make these. These babies were decadent, sweet, and full of Nutella flavor. I also really liked these brownies because they weren't ultra chocolate-y - the hazelnut flavor from the Nutella definitely helped to make these brownies lighter than they otherwise could have been if made with semisweet chocolate.


What went on in your kitchen during the snow storm?

Side note/plea: Would you mind taking a second today to vote for my Coconut Curry Chickpea & Potato Soup in the New England Country Soup's Soup Challenge? Thank you in advance - I really appreciate it!

8 comments:

  1. This looks SO rich! I made some Ghiradelli hot chocolate along with spicy pork stir-fry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound delicious, Michelle! Your house must have smelled amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with Nutella! Those looks awesome and you're very brave making something so delicious when you are snowed in..I would have eaten the whole pan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ummmmm YUM! Seriously Michelle-these look fantastic!!!! Nutella is phenomenal and added to brownies- um yeah :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Katie and Fiona! They were really simple to make, too - but definitely dangerous to make when trapped inside during a snow storm. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I LOVE the opening line of this post! I laughed out loud. Couldn't wait to see these photos after your tweet yesterday! They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just ran out of Nutella but I will remedy that soon. Haven't made Nutella brownies yet either - will do soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My hubby and I ordered Chinese food. And then we went out to play in the snow! And not I wish I had made some brownies

    ReplyDelete