Friday, January 21, 2011

Dinner at Om Restaurant for Half the Price

Earlier this week, Z and I used a Groupon we had at Om Restaurant in Harvard Square. Om serves up American and Asian fusion cuisine inside a beautiful, Indian-Asian inspired interior. It was Z and I's first time dining at Om, and it's one local restaurant we've been dying to check out. After our meal, we were both very happy we finally did.

I started off the night with a glass of pinot grigio ($8), and Z went for an Allagash White ($5).


While we sipped our drinks and perused the menu, our waitress brought us over some complimentary popcorn with truffle butter, which was wonderfully rich, salty and addictive. 


For a meal, we decided to split two appetizers and an entree in order to sample several dishes on Om's inventive menu. With only a few vegetarian options to choose from, we decided on the Sweet Potato Ravioli ($10) and Vegetable Momos ($7 for 1/2 dozen) as our appetizers. 

Sweet Potato Ravioli.
Vegetable Momos.
Both of these dishes were elegant and delicious. The sweet potato ravioli, prepared in wontons and smothered in a brown butter cream sauce and garlic chives, was luxurious, yet light. The momos, which were also served with three vibrant dipping sauces (that Blogger unfortunately won't let me upload properly) were also tasty, but unfortunately rather bland if not dipped in the accompanying sweet and sour sauces. 

For an entree, Z and I split the Chinese BBQ Tofu ($18), which was organic crispy tofu served with Chinese broccoli and Himalayan red rice.


Due to the price, I never would have bought this dish just by looking at the menu without a Groupon, but due to the taste - I'd definitely order it again. Z and I both commented on how perfectly cooked the tofu was, and the Chinese broccoli - my first time having it - was beautifully bitter, and complemented the sweet & tangy tofu sauce and rice just perfectly. 

Overall, our dinner at Om Restaurant was a great experience. Although the prices are a little steep for my normal budget, it was nice to experience a "special occasion" restaurant for half the normal price, and have a great meal to boot. 

OM Restaurant & Lounge on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. I've dined there several times and I haven't been too impressed with the food. Maybe it is time for a re-visit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! I think it may be - however, we also only tried meat-free dishes - so I can't attest to how their steak, lamb, etc. dishes are prepared. The veggie-friendly dishes were fantastic, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good experience there - to be honest I keep waiting to hear it's closing though. Can't quite figure out what they're trying to do between the club-like lounge and bar area (stay far away if an HBS event is going on there) and the elegant-ish dining area upstairs. I also worked there for a hot minute a few years ago and they seemed just as confused as I was as to what the concept was. But glad to hear a positive review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a nice date! I've heard mixed reviews but would love to check the placce out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live so close to Om and have been there several times, but I definitely enjoy the cocktails more than the food :p Glad to hear you had a nice dinner experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man! I can't attest to the rest of the menu, but what we ordered was definitely delish! Thanks for all of your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to try Om too since I also live close. You veg choices look great for me, too bad I didn't buy the Groupon!

    ReplyDelete