Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ellie Krieger's 'So Easy' garlic-basil shrimp - with an economical eater's twist

I'll try any recipe that includes carbs and wine...especially if it's simple. I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of Ellie Krieger's So Easy cookbook from my parents this past Christmas, and every single recipe in Krieger's book is simple, approachable and nutritious.



There are a ton of recipes I can't wait to try (including her cheddar-apple quesadillas and white turkey chili), but the other night I opted for her garlic-basil shrimp recipe, under the "Dinner - Rush Hour" chapter. I had leftover frozen shrimp, some grape tomatoes, and Market Basket orzo, so I didn't even have to leave the house to make this dinner. The result: I was eating dinner in under 35 minutes, and the touch of white wine and basil gave this dish a more elegant twist versus just having pasta with sauce. I have included Krieger's original recipe here, with notes of "economical" changes I made.

Ellie Krieger's Garlic-Basil Shrimp (with my changes)
Yields: 4 servings

-2 tbsp. olive oil
-1 1/4 pounds large shrimp (20 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined (I used frozen, medium-sized shrimp I had leftover. Frozen = cheaper)
-3 garlic cloves, minced (I used 3 tbsp. of minced, jarred garlic I had in the fridge)
-1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste (I used more - probably a good 1/2 tsp., and it wasn't spicy)
-3/4 cup dry white wine
-1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
-1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil (I used about 1/8 cup dried basil that I already had. Dried herbs tend to be stronger in flavor than fresh)
-3 cups cooked orzo pasta, preferably whole wheat (I used white, because I already had that in my pantry)
-Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I just used regular table salt/pepper)

Directions: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot, then add the shrimp and cook, turning over once, until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes to the remaining oil and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the wine and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and basil, and season the sauce with salt and pepper. Return the shrimp to the pan and cook just until heated through. Serve with the orzo.



On the side, I used another one of Krieger's recipes for Herbed Goat Cheese Crostinis. You simply slice a whole wheat baguette in 1/2-inch thick slices, rub with a fresh garlic clove (cut in half), spread with herbed goat cheese, and stick under the broiler until golden. Having two slices of the crostini on the side also made this meal more special, versus just having wheat bread with butter.

What's your favorite go-to cookbook for simple, yet tasty recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment