Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reader recipe: carrots with ginger ale

I don't know about you, but when I'm making dinner at home, thinking up a side dish to accompany the entree is my biggest challenge. I almost always have bags of frozen vegetables in the freezer which are great go-to side dishes, but sometimes, I just want something a little different. Thankfully, my dear friend Christine (whom I met at Quinnipiac), recently sent me one of her favorite go-to side dishes.


Christine is a nurse and is in the middle of planning her wedding (which is happening in June), so the girl's got quite the busy schedule. Her unique spin on your normal, everyday carrots is perfect for a simple, "dressed up" side dish to make during the week, and the ingredients should keep you well within your grocery budget. 


Carrots with Ginger Ale
Yields: 4 servings

-7 carrots peeled and sliced (could also use frozen, pre-sliced carrots)
-1 tablespoon butter
-1 cup ginger ale
-1 pinch salt
-2 pinches chili powder
-1 tablespoon brown sugar


Directions: Put all ingredients in a covered high-sided saute pan and cook over medium heat until simmering, and butter and sugar are melted (about 5 minutes). Take the lid off, stir and raise the heat to high. Continue cooking on high uncovered until the sauce thickens to a syrup (about 10 minutes).



I can't wait to try this!


What's your favorite go-to side dish to make during the week?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good (and quick)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's interesting... my fav easy thing to do is roast veggies :)

    ReplyDelete