Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Baked Rutabaga Cakes

This past weekend, I made a rutabaga recipe for an upcoming Local in Season article - but still had a little bit of rutabaga leftover. Knowing the root vegetable was on its last leg, I decided to make use of the leftovers last night for dinner. I Googled some rutabaga recipes, and found a lot of recipes for fried rutabaga cakes. The recipes included a lot of ingredients I already had in my kitchen, but I wasn't in the mood for fried food. So, I decided to make my own recipe for Baked Rutabaga Cakes.


Before I did anything, I boiled my leftover rutabaga in some salted water until it was tender (i.e., a fork could pierce through it). Then, I drained the rutabaga, let it cool, and put it in the food processor to "mash" it. Then, I got started on the cakes.

Baked Rutabaga Cakes
Yields: 6 cakes (2 servings)

-1 1/2 cups mashed rutabaga 
-1 egg
-1/8 cup plain bread crumbs
-1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
-1/4 tsp. minced garlic
-Dried rosemary
-Dried oregano
-Pinch of cayenne pepper
-Salt and black pepper, to taste
-Generous squirt of lemon juice
-Non-stick spray (I used canola oil)
-Dollop of sour cream, for garnish

Directions:
1.) Mix the rutabaga, egg, bread crumbs, garlic, seasonings and lemon juice in a large bowl. 
2.) With an ice cream scoop, place six generous dollops of the rutabaga mixture onto a greased cookie sheet. Press the dollops down with a fork to form flat "pancakes," being careful not to make them too thin. Spray the tops of the rutabaga cakes with some more cooking spray, to help them brown in the oven.
3.) Bake in a 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes (or until golden brown on each side), flipping the cakes halfway through. 
4.) Serve with a side salad and a dollop of sour cream.


The sour cream really complemented the slightly spicy cakes, and brought some tang to the sweetness of the rutabaga.


This ended up being a protein-filled, healthy meal - and it was also very satisfying!

Don't forget: Today's your last day to enter my giveaway for a $50 Amazon gift card (and more)! I'll be picking a winner tonight, and announcing the winner tomorrow morning.

6 comments:

  1. These look almost like baked latkes! I love your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had rutabaga but sounds great! Love this idea - I agree with Michelle, my first thought was baked latke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! They definitely have the texture of baked latkes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had rutabaga. your cakes look tasty, i must try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. The rutabagas in my produce drawer thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! Ive never worked with rutabaga- I am going to HAVE to now!

    ReplyDelete