Friday, February 4, 2011

Second Helping Roasted Chickpea Pasta

Earlier this week, I realized I had way too many roasted chickpeas leftover, and I knew I'd get sick of them if I just snacked on them all day. To make use of them, and incorporate them in a new, different recipe, I decided to combine them with pasta.


I had received a bag of tri-colored pasta for Christmas, and decided to boil half of it in some salted water for this meal. In a separate saucepan, I cooked up some chopped onions with some olive oil, until they were translucent and started to brown. I then added some minced garlic, salt, black pepper and oregano to the sauce. After cooking this together for about a minute, I added the chickpeas and a little extra olive oil. When the pasta was just about done, I added a splash of white wine to the sauce and cooked it off for about 30 seconds.

I drained the pasta when it was just past al dente, and added it to the saucepan - which I immediately took off the heat. I stirred everything together, added some grated parmesan, and poured my pasta into a bowl. 


Despite how simple this dish was to make, I can't get over how delicious it was. The combination of the crispy, slightly spicy chickpeas with the soft pasta, all coated in the light and refreshing sauce, was comforting without being overly filling. Now that I'm not eating meat, I also liked how the chickpeas added a tasty protein to this otherwise protein-less dish.

Have you ever combined chickpeas with pasta? Are you a fan?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't added chickpeas to pasta but I definitely like adding cannellini beans to a lot of different dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never have had this combination but I love the idea!!

    ReplyDelete