Thursday, February 10, 2011

Malaysian-Inspired Tofu Curry

How am I fairing so far as a vegetarian? After last night's dinner - pretty damn well.


I'm discovering that vegetarian cooking is all about enhancing the flavors and textures of each and every dish. Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, an award-winning cookbook that I gave to Z for Christmas this year, is a hardcover masterpiece that drives this culinary point home. Z and I finally broke into his cookbook last night, and decided to make the Malaysian-Inspired Tofu Curry - mainly because it took 20 minutes to cook and we were starving. We only made a few variations, too, based off what we already had in the kitchen.


Malaysian-Inspired Tofu Curry
Yields: 3-4 servings

-1 15 oz. package firm tofu
-2 13.5 oz. cans unsweetened coconut milk
-1 tsp. light brown sugar
-1 tbsp. ground coriander
-2 tsp. curry powder
-1/2 tsp. turmeric
(Original recipe calls for 1 tsp. taramind paste)
-1/4 tsp. cayenne
-2 large garlic cloves, minced
-1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger (original recipe calls for 1 tbsp. finely chopped ginger)
-4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
-4 scallions, chopped
-Juice of 1 lime
-Cilantro (we used dried)
-Salt, to taste

Directions:
1.) Drain, then dice the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.
2.) Combine the coconut milk, brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, spices, (tamarind paste, if using), garlic and ginger in a medium skillet. Boil for 1 minute, then add the tofu. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3.) Add the tomatoes and scallions and simmer for approximately 10 minutes more. Add the lime juice and taste for salt.
4.) Served garnished with fresh cilantro (or dried, in our case).


Creamy, spicy and comforting, with plenty of vibrant colors and varying textures. I could curl up on the couch with a bowl of this every other night. We enjoyed our tofu curry with some warmed naan, which was a beautiful choice. 


I could get used to eating like this every night!

What's your favorite cookbook that you own? 

5 comments:

  1. I obviously love a lot of Asian cuisine and I also love that so many of them are (or can be) vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum looks delicious! I never cook with tofu (is that weird for a vegetarian?) but this looks like something I'd enjoy. I won a vegetarian cookbook from a blog giveaway, The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook, it's filled with amazing photos and recipes! I need to dive into that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we should be commenting on the food, but i love the color of the walls in that kitchen!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha thanks Catherine! That's Zach's kitchen. :)
    And Melissa, I need to get my hands on that cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM looks delish! I think I might try that too- but I'd need to upgrade my spice rack first :)

    ReplyDelete