Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pet Peeves and Parathas at Diva Indian Bistro

Earlier this week, Z and I tried using one of our Groupons at Red Bones - which was as packed as a sardine can - so we used another one of our Groupons right up the street at Diva Indian Bistro.

We were both excited to try Diva's food, but had both read pretty negative reviews about their service. I walked in expecting the best, however, as to not let other people's opinions put a damper on my experience.

Upon walking in, the host oddly sat us next to one of the only other tables in the place with patrons at it. Z asked if we could have a booth, on the opposite side of the restaurant, and the host led us to our booth silently.

We easily shook off this instance, and ordered a round of beers. Much to our disappointment, Diva was out of just about every beer on their menu, including the Indian varieties. Without much choice, I ordered a Harpoon IPA and Z ordered a Sam Adams lager.


For our meal,  Z and I split three plates, including the Diva Vegetarian Platter ($8.95), Masala Dosa ($11.95), and Punjabi Paratha ($2.95).


The presentation for the vegetarian platter was sad, but everything on the plate was seasoned beautifully and cooked perfectly. The platter included vegetable pakoras, samosa, tikki and cheese pakora, with two different kinds of sauces for dipping. 


There's no better way to say this: I heart masala dosa. I mean, what's better than spicy, soft potatoes and onions wrapped in a light, airy crepe? Diva's version could feed an army, too, and we asked for it extra spicy - which is what we got. Z, who studied abroad in India during college, even commented that Diva's masala dosa was the closest to authentic that he's had in Boston. Well done, Diva. 


Since we were on a carb rampage this particular evening, the Punjabi Parathas totally hit the spot. Multi-layered, whole wheat bread cooked with butter on a griddle, these babies tasted as comforting and delicious as they sound. We asked our waiter if we could have some dipping sauces for our parathas, and he gladly obliged, which made them that much tastier. 

Our dinner at Diva was definitely a wonderful experience, and I was pleasantly surprised at the diverse, authentic Indian options on their menu - but some aspects of the restaurant could use a little work. The first beer glass I was given, for instance, looked like it had never been cleaned, and I think the presentation for our vegetable platter could have been much more impressive.

Have you ever dined at Diva? What's your review?

Diva on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. I've eaten at Diva and like you - loved the food but hated the service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here! This was probably a year or so ago. Great food and cocktails, but absolutely abysmal service. It was not crowded at all, and the server kept disappearing for very long periods of time. I haven't been back - sometimes I'm tempted by the food, but I end up going to Namaskar down the street, which has pretty good food and good service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you describe masala sauce? I saw it in the grocery store and was curious, because all I can picture is marsala sauce. I still recommend you try Cafe Momo in Manchester, you won't be disappointed.

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kelly! I know, I NEED to try Cafe Momo - I haven't forgotten! And masala sauce can be made different ways, but, for the most part, it's a tomato-based sauce made with garam masala, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, and garlic - with some added spices and/or peppers for heat. It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know! I love Indian food and have been wanting to give them a try because, like you, I had heard so much about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Sounds delicious- always on the scout for good Indian food-great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate at Diva once just over a year ago. It was a Friday night and the place was packed so there was no choice as to where to sit. I don't remember any complaints about the service - just remember good spicy food!

    ReplyDelete