Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Friday Night at PJ Ryan's

My cousin, Carolan, and I made plans Friday night to catch up over dinner and some drinks. After a few emails back and forth debating where to go, Carolan suggested meeting up at PJ Ryan's in Teele Square in Somerville. I had never been to PJ Ryan's before, and gladly agreed to meet there.

Parking was easy to find in Teele Square, and I was pleasantly surprised at the casual, pub-like atmosphere at PJ's. The crowd in the place was mixed - older men sipping brews with who seemed like their life-long buddies, as well as plenty of twenty-somethings stopping in for a quick bite or just a beer. Carolan and I made ourselves comfortable at the bar, and I ordered a Guinness to start the cold, wintery night off right.

The smell of golden, crispy fries filled the air at PJ Ryan's, which inspired me to order the Sharp Cheddar sandwich (about $8) - which came with fries - and was dressed with beef steak tomatoes. The sandwich was also supposed to have a beer and mustard spread, but that seemed to be missing - but I wasn't too disappointed. This was the best damn grilled cheese I've had to date.


That may sound like a heavy statement, but when the cheese is high quality, the bread tastes freshly baked, and the tomatoes are at their freshest, nothing beats it. And alongside those crispy, almost-perfect fries, I was in pub grub heaven. Plus, the cost of this sandwich and fries was less than some of the appetizers on PJ's menu - so it just made more sense to get the high quantity of food for less money. 

All in all, it was a great night filled with great conversation, delicious food, and a fun atmosphere for a casual Friday night. 

Carolan and I.

What did you do this weekend?

Pj Ryan's on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. OH MY YUM! I think its the weather lately- I have been obsessed with grilled cheese! Have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwh this is so cute!! The food was really good I honestly can't wait to go back and get their burger again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grilled cheese does look good! I don't go out to eat in Somerville nearly enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never even heard of this place or Teele Square (shows you how much I know about Somerville.) The grilled cheese does look amazing. My favorite GC comes from delux in the south end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know! I love a good grilled cheese + french fries dinner, and love when that dinner is local!

    ReplyDelete