Friday, December 3, 2010

Tomato, Arugula and Garlic & Herb Pizza

Earlier this week, I had a very long, tiring day at work. By the time I got home, I was actually in the mood to cook, but wanted to make something simple and comforting. I stopped in at Trader Joe's and immediately spotted Garlic & Herb Pizza Dough for 99 cents - and dinner was founded.


Let's be honest: I can't roll out fresh pizza dough to save my life (does anyone else have this problem?). However, I love the taste and texture of fresh dough, and the price tag isn't that bad either. 

To go with the dough, I picked up some plump grape tomatoes and arugula. The end result: Tomato, Arugula and Garlic & Herb Pizza.

This "recipe" was so simple, there's really no point in listing it out in proper recipe format. So, here's what I did: 

1.)I put a good few handfuls of grape tomatoes in the food processor with a little bit of olive oil, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. I pulsed the tomatoes until they had the consistency of a chunky salsa. 
2.) Then, I rolled out the dough on a floured cutting board and spread the tomato mixture over the dough. 
3.) I topped the tomatoes with shredded cheddar cheese, sprinkled some pizza seasoning and Italian seasoning on top, and then placed a generous handful of arugula on everything. 
4.) I placed the pizza in the oven on a lightly greased sheet at 425* for about 10 to 12 minutes (because my dough was thicker - I'd cook it for 6 to 8 minutes for thinner dough). 


That's it! Dinner was served.


The end result was comforting, familiar-tasting pizza with a fresh, slightly spicy twist. The garlic and herb crust also added an additional flavor that was earthy and consistently flavorful.

What's your favorite meal to have after a long day of work?

12 comments:

  1. YUM! Pizza is one of the best things to have after one of "those" days at the office- this sounds delicious.

    Oh- and I cant roll out pizza dough to save my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a long day, I crave carbs and always want a big hearty bowl of pasta!

    I used to use a large rolling pin and could never roll out my pizza dough. Chef Matt Barros from Myers + Chang introduced me to small Chinese wooden pins (they are like a $1) at Ming's and I get perfect circles every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your pizza is looking awfully delicious!

    PS I though of yout his morning when it came to me what I was trying to think of that is playing at the Somerville Theater! The Slutcracker. hilarious right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pizza is definitely one thing I make after a long day... and pasta, eggs, or pancakes. Lots of easy options.

    The pizza looks delicious! Depending how soft the dough is, sometimes it's easier to stretch it than roll it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daisy - that is so funny! I haven't even heard of the Slutcracker. I might just have to check it out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many good things about Trader Joe's pizza dough, but haven't yet tried it myself! I will make a trip there this weekend and I'll make sure to buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum, this looks great! pizza is my favorite! I love the whole-wheat pizza dough at TJ's too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum your pizza looks delicious! I love TJ's pizza dough, it's the cheapest I've seen and tastes good.
    I've heard of the Slutcracker but haven't seen it haha, I've been told it's exactly how it sounds ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that pizza dough- I buy it all the time! And arugula is my fav. Nice to meet you the other nite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice meeting you too, Lizzy! And glad so many of you are with me regarding TJ's pizza dough - cheap and oh-so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing better than homemade pizza...nothing! Great post and agree...I always get the TJ's pizza dough. I also like to make dinner rolls out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete