Thursday, December 23, 2010

Blue Ribbon BBQ in Arlington

A few nights ago, I finally tried Blue Ribbon BBQ in Arlington - which is literally half a mile walk from my apartment. Why did I wait so long to go there?

Actually, right before dinner I realized I had been to the Blue Ribbon in West Newton years ago, but I'm still counting this as my first time eating there, since it's been so long.

Upon walking in to the small eatery (with only a few tables and a counter to sit at), the smells of barbecued meat, baking cornbread and tantalizing sauces filled the air. It didn't help that I was starving and the chalkboard menus were chocked full of authentic Southern dishes and homemade comfort food.

After much desperate deliberation, I finally decided on the Pulled Pork Sandwich ($7.59), which came with two sides - I opted for the mashed potatoes and collard greens.


For a drink I went with half sweet iced tea and half lemonade at the fountain soda station.

When we sat down, I decided to try all of the sauces Blue Ribbon had on the counter, which were about eight in total, and ranged from spicy to sweet. All the sauces we tried were delicious with the exception of the habenero vinegar - the vinegar flavor was way too overpowering for my taste. 

The sandwich itself was delicious, with the exception of the soggy, lifeless bun. I've had many pulled pork sandwiches where the bread can hold its own, so I was slightly disappointed when I ended up eating my pork with a fork and discarding the bread altogether. However, the meat was cooked to perfection, and possessed a beautiful smoky flavor. The mashed potatoes were obviously made with a good amount of butter and cream - which is definitely not a complaint - and I loved how there were some chunks of potato throughout, providing a wonderful texture contrast. The collard greens were - well, collard greens. No complaints there, either. 

All in all, my dinner at Blue Ribbon was a successful one. Their authentic Southern and clearly homemade food would make Paula Deen proud. And since I live so close, it will be easy for me to go back again soon. 

Have you ever been to Blue Ribbon BBQ? What's your review? 

Blue Ribbon BBQ (Arlington) on Urbanspoon


7 comments:

  1. I've only had takeout and it was actually two years ago to the day! (They catered our holiday work party) food is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been there before but my fiance has and he loves it! I've heard wonderful things about Blue Ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue Ribbon makes the BEST veggie burrito I've ever had. My whole family loves their food and they even catered my dad's 50th birthday party! Glad you and Z live so close!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Blue Ribbon BBQ - I wish I lived nearer or had a car so I can eat there more often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly - I saw their veggie burrito and wondered how it was! Good to know it's delicious! I'll have to try that next time I go in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always get the burnt ends sandwich with sides of beans and cole slaw. And tons of their incredible house made pickles. Oh man, I love Blue Ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this place for barbecue. The burnt ends are my favorite. Their beans are great too.

    ReplyDelete