Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chicken & Cornbread Stuffing Casserole

When it's cold outside, I crave warm, comforting, not-so-good-for-you foods...like chicken and stuffing, with extra cheese.

On Thanksgiving, my Mom sent me home with a vat of homemade cornbread stuffing, which I have had in my freezer ever since. I also had two chicken breasts and the leftover homemade chicken broth (also in my freezer), which I incorporated in this very economical meal. The nice folks at New England Country Soup had also sent me some of their soups to try, and I still had a packet of Chicken Corn Chowder in the pantry to provide the creamy base for my casserole.



Chicken & Cornbread Stuffing Casserole
Yields: 2 (generous) servings

-2 chicken breasts
-2-3 cups cornbread stuffing
-3/4 package New England Country Soup Chicken Corn Chowder
-1 cup chicken broth
-Salt and black pepper, to taste
-Parmesan cheese for topping

Directions: 
1.) Season chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper, and place in a casserole dish.
2.) Cover chicken with cornbread stuffing.
3.) Mix soup and chicken broth together; pour over chicken and stuffing.
4.) Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of everything.
5.) Place in a 350 degree oven until hot and bubbly (about 35-45 minutes).


This meal was oh-so satisfying on a cold winter night, and wasn't too heavy. The chicken was perfectly moist and juicy, thanks to the soup and stock, and the combination with the cornbread stuffing was out of this world. I will definitely be making this recipe again.



What winter-friendly meals have you made recently? 

5 comments:

  1. YUM! That looks delicious! Im just like you-when its cold- all I want is carbs (read pasta) with tons of cheese. I like the idea of cornbread stuffing though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks scrumptious! Just made some Chicken Veggie Soup...Mmm! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a creative way to use the soup! I got this package as well and ate is just the way it was since I was battling a cold at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, Chicken Veggie Soup sounds incredible right now! I'd love the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome...I totally hear you on craving not-so-healthy comfort food this time of year. Thank god for big bulky sweaters! :)

    ReplyDelete