Monday, November 9, 2009

Turkey meatballs with herbs and garlic

Growing up, my mother made the best meatballs - which is ironic, since her spaghetti was always questionable. Her meatballs, however, were always juicy, full of flavor, monstrous, and slow-cooked in the crockpot. Cold, cozy Sundays always smell like tomato sauce and bubbling beef to me - such glorious foodie memories. Now that I've been cooking for myself for the last several years, however, I've become a bigger fan of ground turkey, and almost always choose the bird over the beef. Although I know I will never be able to make a meatball taste as delicious as my mother can, I strive to pack my turkey meatballs with tons of spices and garlic, while allowing them to still taste like turkey. Oh, and I try to get them as big as my mother's infamous meatballs, too. Here goes:

Turkey Meatballs
Yields: 10 meatballs

-1 package ground turkey (lean, with no seasonings) (turkey breast can be used here, too, although it's usually $1+ more expensive)
-1 egg
-1 palmful Italian bread crumbs
-1 1/2 tbsp. minced garlic, jarred
-1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
-Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Empty package of ground turkey in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix with hands, without over "kneading" the meat. Roll into 10 balls, and place on baking sheet. Cook at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Check meatballs prior to end cooking time, to ensure they don't overcook/dry out.

I enjoyed these herb-infused meatballs with my pasta sauce (made with frozen veggies this time), and whole wheat rotini pasta. Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment