Monday, November 30, 2009

The best deal I found this week

Curry powder - why is it so hard to find in "regular" grocery stores?

I've been to my local supermarket numerous times looking for the spice, with no luck; until tonight. My local Hannaford, on Main Street in Waltham, hides their curry powder in the International aisle. Personally, this makes no sense to me, especially because their Naan is in the middle of the deli aisle - but I won't complain. Most spices in the spice aisle are uber expensive, priced at least at $3-4 a  jar. So, when I saw that Hannaford had Bada brand curry powder for $3.49 for 7 ounces, I did a triple take. That's a whole lot of curry powder! At first, I was skeptical, wondering if it would taste like authentic, smoky curry. Only time will tell; I'm making a vegetarian-friendly Indian meal tonight, inspired by a Food & Wine recipe, and curry is definitely on the ingredient list. Regardless, I have enough curry powder now to feed most of South India - and I paid almost nothing for it.

2 comments:

  1. You should find your local Indian grocery/market and get spices there. Besides supporting local business they tend to have very good prices on certain items, not to mention a larger selection. Indian markets in general tend to have outstanding deals on spices. They don't have to be exotic either. I'll often hit up out local Indian market to get black peppercorn by the bag for making a rub or peppercorn crusted steaks. For the price of a 4 oz. McCormick bottle you can score a bag with 4-5 times the amount for the same price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kenta! Very valid point - are there any particular markets you prefer over others?

    ReplyDelete