Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Banana Bread French Toast

Banana bread has never tasted so good - which is a heavy statement for me to make. After my epic failure of my mom's recipe this past weekend, I couldn't let two loaves of the delicacy go to waste. So this morning, I experimented, and came up with this:

Banana bread French toast. The outcome was a more dense, richer banana bread with a perfectly crispy exterior. Drizzled with some sweet maple syrup and a light dusting of powdered sugar, I was in breakfast heaven. Thankfully, the dish wasn't super sweet either; the bread was able to hold up its authentic banana flavor while complementing the syrup and cinnamon perfectly.

Banana Bread French Toast
Yields: 2 servings

-Four slices banana bread (homemade or store bought)
-1 egg
-1 tsp. milk
-Cinnamon
-1 tbsp. butter
-1/4 cup maple syrup (optional)
-Powdered sugar (optional)

Directions: Mix egg, milk, and a dash of cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Melt butter in a skillet. Dip banana bread in egg mixture and add to skillet. Brown both sides, then plate. Dress with maple syrup (1/4 cup serving each; although I only used half that for each plate), and sprinkle with sparing amount of powdered sugar.

What baking/cooking mistakes have you turned into something even more delicious?

2 comments:

  1. What a Great Idea! I would have thrown the bread out!

    Save room for Dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! I have a recipe for banana bread from my mom too, cranberries instead of chocolate chips, and yogurt instead of oil. I also happen to have a batch of bananas over-ripening as I type (the Star sells slightly over-ripe bananas for $.99)! ~Simone

    ReplyDelete