Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Stuffed mushrooms and pumpkin ale; British-style

My college friends were still in town on Friday night, so I took them to one of my favorite spots: the British Beer Company (in Framingham). This Brit pub has a great beer selection, outstanding bar food, and authentic British cuisine. Bangers and mashed, anyone? On Friday nights, the BBC also has live music – bonus! There were quite a few of us, and although we had to wait an hour for a table, the time flew by while we sipped some brews at the bar. I had a Shipyard Pumpkin Ale with cinnamon sugar on the rim, which was a little too sticky for me, although the flavor combination was decent. Once we sat down for dinner, we ordered a plate of nachos for the table to split. The nachos were nachos although I wish the cheese and toppings were layered throughout. Layering is key in nachos (BBC should take tips from The Common Man). For a meal, I ordered the Stuffed Portabella Mushroom appetizer. The mushroom was chocked full of fresh feta cheese, kalamata olives, and roasted red peppers, roasted in the oven. The dish was then drizzled with balsamic glaze and fresh basil. The meal was light and tasty, but had way too much tangy feta for my liking. Overall, the BBC didn’t fail us: the live music was good, the beer was ice cold, and the food was not-so-bad. Next time I go, though, I’m sticking to the burgers and bangers.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting, being a Brit in the US I have a passing interest in pubs. I've driven by BBC a few times. but never stopped in.

    I might check out the beer sometime, but I'll heed your warning on the food.

    My favorite New England "British Pub" is Mr. Pickwick's in Stowe, VT. Actually, the food there wasn't too good the last time I was there either =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the fact that you love uk food.its the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, the food at BBC normally is good - I'd just stick to the British fare, or the burgers/sandwiches. And thanks for the tip on Mr. Pickwick's!

    Fixed Bayonet, I agree - UK food is one of my favorites, along with Indian, Italian, and Mexican...and a few others. ;)

    ReplyDelete