Saturday, November 21, 2009

Five dollar Margaritas and a Mariachi band

I've gone out to eat one too many times this week, but how can you go wrong with margaritas, salsa, and a Mariachi band? That's exactly what we experienced at Paisano Restaurant on High Street in Waltham. (Side note: Paisano is slang for "friend"). I went for a late dinner and drinks with my cousin and this guy last weekend, and was instantly impressed at the authentic atmosphere (despite the glass case of bottled soda right as you walk in). The place was packed with late-night diners and tequila sippers, and the Mariachi band happily provided their melodies throughout the restaurant. We started with the house margarita, which was only $4.99 compared to the $8.50 price tage of the "specialty" margs. The drink was strong, and fortunately lacked the overpowering taste of the sour mix. The complimentary chips and salsa were exceptional, the salsa being fresh and necessarily spicy. For my meal, I opted for the Mexican side of the menu, although Paisano serves both Guatemalan and Mexican fare. I was craving spicy food with lots of veggies, so I decided on the Enchilada Especial ($11.99), which were three corn tortillas stuffed with shredded chicken and smothered in your choice of sauce: mole, green, red.



I asked which one was the spiciest (the red), and went with that. On top of the enchiladas was onions, melted cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, avocado, and lettuce, with rice and refried beans on the side. The red sauce and fresh avocado made this dish for me - the sauce gave it a much-needed kick, and the avocado helped to balance out the heat from the sauce, and added a creamy texture - without becoming "soupy" like the sour cream did. I'll definitely be going back to Paisano, but be careful how late you go on a Saturday: the back room apparently turns into a dance club, with flashing lights and bad, Top 40's music.

No comments:

Post a Comment