Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sharing a family favorite Thanksgiving recipe

Thanksgiving in my family is all about eating until we feel sick, and drinking wine until we can't tell how full we are anymore. There's about 25 of us (at least) sitting at a long table, gorging on moist turkey, buttery stuffing, creamy gravy, and the most popular dish of the holiday: sweet potato pie. When my aunt moved back up here from Texas, she began bringing the sweet potato pie to our family Thanksgivings, and our New England palates welcomed it to the table wholeheartedly. Now, most of us eat more sweet potato pie than we do turkey. So, this year, when my aunt told me she wasn't going to make it to Thanksgiving and that I was in charge of the sweet potatoes, I almost had an instant anxiety attack - I have to make the main dish for 25+ hungry Irish people? I managed to take on the challenge, and literally just removed the pan from the oven. I still won't know how it tastes until tomorrow, but, I must say, it smells and looks delicious. Let's just hope it tastes that way - I'll report back after the meal. In the meantime, I wanted to share this sacred recipe with you - it's not traditional sweet potato pie, but it's downright delicious. I guarantee it will be a staple at your Thanksgiving table, just as it's become one at mine. Happy Thanksgiving!




Southern Sweet Potatoes

-3 cups canned or cooked sweet potatoes
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/2 tsp. salt
-2 eggs
-1/3 stick butter
-1/2 cup milk
-1 tsp. vanilla

Directions: Beat above ingredients together until thoroughly blended. Pour into buttered baking dish (8x8 or casserole dish).

Topping:
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup broken pecans
-1/3 cup flour
-1/3 cup melted butter

Directions: Combine topping ingredients and crumble over potatoes. Bake 35 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve and enjoy!

*Side note: I doubled this recipe for my family of 25+.

No comments:

Post a Comment