Friday, September 25, 2009

Turning a once dreaded meal into a modern favorite

Growing up, I dreaded having pasta for dinner. I am one of four siblings, so my mother would make a lot of store-brand-name-food at dinner. So, pasta night was always Market Basket's vermicelli covered in the most under seasoned jarred pasta sauce. I didn't know that there were any other kinds of pasta besides vermicelli until I was at least 12 years old. Regardless, since my mother's large-family-on-a-budget dinners, I have become much more creative with my pasta - while still utilizing store band names. I almost always use Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Blend Pasta by Ronzoni, and I make sure to still buy store brand pasta sauce, but add my own flavor and texture to it. Last night, I had some leftover whole wheat rotini, and I stopped at Hannaford to grab their Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce, a red pepper, and a yellow onion. I came home and, to the delight of my roommate, filled the apartment with the tantalizing smells and the powerful sizzle of garlic and onion sauteing on the stove. Below is how I dressed up an otherwise ordinary pasta sauce, while adding more nutrients to it, too:


Tomato, Red Pepper, Onion & Basil Pasta Sauce
Yields: 6 servings


-1 jar Hannaford Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
-3 small red peppers, chopped (I cut into larger chunks for more texture)
-1 large yellow onion, diced
-1 tbsp. garlic
-Olive oil
-Pinch of granulated sugar
-Crushed red pepper flakes (for heat)
-Salt and pepper

In a pan, saute diced onions until translucent. Add in chopped red peppers, and season liberally with salt and pepper. Cook until red peppers are slightly soft. Add in garlic, and saute for several more minutes. Pour in jar of pasta sauce, desired amount of crushed red pepper flakes, and a pinch of sugar. Let simmer for about 20 minutes (or longer, if you have the time). Pour over your favorite pasta, and enjoy!

On the side of this veggie-packed dish, I spread some butter on two halves of a Multi-grain Arnold Sandwich Thin, and sprinkled on some garlic powder and dried parsley. I popped them in the toaster oven, and had "homemade" garlic bread to go with my pasta.

What are some of your tips to make a delicious pasta sauce?

1 comment:

  1. take a jar of traditional sauce and add diced chorizo, chopped portabello mushrooms, onions and peppers then, at the last minute, add a splash of balsamic vinegar and cilantro!

    DELISH! :)
    and personally, I like the DaVinci Organics pasta in the green bag. and it's only $2.69/ bag YUM!

    ReplyDelete