Monday, September 21, 2009

Warm welcome: chicken stuffed with goat cheese, arugula & tomatoes

Welcome blog readers! I am so excited to share my love for food with you. I have been the resident food blogger for Live Free or Dine at The Nashua Telegraph in Nashua, N.H. for several years now, and have recently moved to the Waltham/Watertown, Mass. area. I am eager to continue to grow my culinary experience in the Boston area, and I am happy you came along for the ride.

For my very first post, I thought I'd share a quick, healthy, budget-friendly recipe with you. I do most of my grocery shopping at Market Basket and Hannaford, so feel free to buy the following ingredients anywhere you wish. Chicken is inexpensive and, obviously, quite bland, so I'm always trying to make it more innovative and exciting. Below is one of my most recent creations.

Note to reader: Don't mind my tacky plastic plate. I warned you I was on a budget!



Stuffed Chicken with Goat Cheese, Arugula & Grape Tomatoes
Serves 2

-2 chicken breasts
-Handful arugula
-1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
-1/4 cup grape tomatoes
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-Splash of sherry cooking wine
-Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: cut chicken breast almost in half (lengthwise), leaving a pocket in the breast (versus cutting through the entire breast). Stuff chicken with arugula, goat cheese, and tomatoes. Close breast with a toothpick. In saute pan, warm olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on each side of chicken. Brown both sides of the breast, and add sherry cooking wine once both sides are browned. Let wine cook off, then cover pan with tin foil. Place in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

With this particular dish, I had a little over the recommended 1/3 cup serving of Betty Crocker's Potato Buds Instant Mashed Potatoes on the side. This 14 oz. box is cheap and delicious, and serves 17 people. For an unmarried person like myself, that's 17 dinners! I normally add dried chives, salt, pepper and a little butter to add extra flavor.

What's your favorite way to prepare chicken?

No comments:

Post a Comment