Sunday, October 11, 2009

Buffalo: it's what's for dinner

I recently tried the buffalo burger ($9.50) at Bison County BBQ in Waltham, and was pleasantly surprised at how moist and flavorful the meat was. The menu boasts that buffalo has less cholesterol than chicken or turkey (my go-to meat for homemade burgers, usually), and my sister always makes her chili with buffalo meat because it tends to be cheaper than beef at the supermarket. Although I have yet to cook with buffalo in my own kitchen, I was more than happy to give the lesser-used chow a try at this establishment that is known for their meat. I was also happy to discover that the buffalo was a lot less greasy than beef would be, avoiding the dreaded grease waterfall that tends to pour out with every bite of a regular hamburger. The joint was casual and crowded on the Friday night that I visited, and their French fries were exceptionally crispy and full of real potato flavor. My friends ordered Bison County's Boneless Fire Wings ($7.95), that were supposed to be their spiciest, yet, unfortunately, lacked a lot of heat. I left satisfied, however, being able to wash down my burger with a few ice cold drafts of Shipyard's Pumpkinhead Ale, in the company of good friends.

Have you cooked with buffalo meat before? What are some successful ways you've prepared it, in addition to burgers and chili?

No comments:

Post a Comment