Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Making a pit stop in Portsmouth


I spent last Sunday enjoying the fall weather the best to my ability with a bike ride, an outdoor concert at Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse, and enjoying some seasonal brews. I love the town of Portsmouth: it's quiant, and filled with locally-run specialty shops and niche restaurants, all with a view of the water. After getting slightly lost on the way to my brother's band's concert, my boyfriend and I decided to stay on the Seacoast for a little while longer, and thus made a pit stop at the Portsmouth Brewery. I had never been to this particular brew pub before, but always heard rave reviews - and now I see why. The restaurant is comfortable, yet eclectic, and was bustling with families and younger groups of friends on this Sunday evening. I slowly sipped a hoppy Bottle Rocket IPA, and we eventually shared an appetizer of hummus & baba ganoosh ($7.95). I've had hummus just about everywhere that serves it, but this spread was fantastic. Served with huge, grilled roasted red peppers, onions, and zucchini, as well as fresh pita points for scooping, this dish was healthy and light, yet surprisingly filling. As a bonus, the hummus even had a few whole chickpeas mixed in for some added texture. Next time I go, I'm trying The Beauty ($7.25) - grilled tempeh with gouda and honey mustard on a scallion roll.

Where's your favorite place to chow on the Seacoast?

2 comments:

  1. This article inspired me and made me crave hummas... i went out and bought cedars original hummas. Good, but not as good looking as your picture!

    Thanks for the Lunch inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. altho not gonna lie- you were right across from CAVA- should have gone there :)

    ReplyDelete