Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Breakin' in the crock pot with vegetarian chili

My other half is a vegetarian, so I made the most of my day off yesterday by making some vegetarian chili. I rarely use my crock pot, so this winter, I plan to use it a lot more often – and today I broke it in for the season. My apartment was fragrant with the smells of chili powder, smoky cumin, onions, and tomatoes bubbling away in the pot on the counter. And putting it all together took less than 20 minutes! Another bonus: this recipe is cheaper than most of the other chili recipes in my repertoire, thanks to the fact that I didn’t have to buy any meat. Below is my recipe for this chunky, spicy, lacto ovo-friendly chili. Dig in!

Easy & Spicy Vegetarian Chili

Yields: 4-5 servings

-16 oz. can of kidney beans, drained
-2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
-1 medium yellow onion, chopped
-1 red pepper, cut into chunks (for thicker, chunkier chili)
-1 jalapeno, with seeds, diced
-1 tbsp. minced garlic
-1/4 tsp. cilantro
-1/2 tsp. cumin
-1 tsp. chili powder
-1/2-1 tsp. crushed red pepper (for extra heat)
-6-7 splashes of Tabasco sauce
-1 tsp. each of salt and pepper

Pour all ingredients into medium/large crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Spoon into bowl and sprinkle with cheese (I prefer Heluva Good! Monterey Jack with Jalapeno). Serve with multigrain tortilla chips and enjoy!


*Tip: use an extra can of beans or some scambled meatless hamburger to make this chili even chunkier. It was a little runny and could have used the extra "sponge" to soak up the excess liquid from the tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment