Monday, May 13, 2013

Stir-Fried Rice Noodles with Mushrooms and Spinach

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend. We had a busy but fun weekend, with one of the highlights being dinner at Tryst in Arlington on Saturday night. That place is so darn good, and their bartenders make a mean dirty martini. Just sayin'.

This weekend also included a lot of prepping for a dinner party I am catering this Saturday. Although I've already finalized the menu with the host, I've been trying to expand my horizons in the kitchen more than usual over the last few weeks in order to just practice, practice, practice. I'd love to cook for people (other than Z) on a more professional level more often, so the more cooking I can do, the better. 

So, when Z sent me this recipe last week saying it sounded delicious, I knew I had to recreate a vegetarian version at home. And that's just what I did.


Stir-Fried Rice Noodles with Mushrooms and Spinach
Yields: 4 servings
Inspired by MyRecipes.com 
-6 ounces uncooked rice noodles
-1 tablespoon vegetable oil 
-1 teaspoon ground ginger
-1 teaspoon ground coriander
-1 cup chopped green onions
-6 ounces sliced portobello mushrooms, very roughly chopped (I kept mine big for more of a "meaty" texture)
-8 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and wrung dry
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-2 tablespoons rice vinegar
-1 tablespoon lime juice
-3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
-2 teaspoons Sriracha
-1 tablespoon peanut oil
-Salt, to taste
-2 teaspoons sesame seeds (I used this Toasted Sesame Ginger Seasoning)

Directions:
1.) Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain.
2.) Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add vegetable oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add ginger and coriander, and cook until fragrant (about 15 seconds). Add onions and mushrooms; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add spinach and garlic; stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.
3.) In a small bowl, combine rice vinegar and the next 3 ingredients (through Sriracha), stirring with a whisk. Add vinegar mixture to mushroom mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in noodles, peanut oil, and salt; cook for 1 minute or until noodles are thoroughly heated, tossing to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

[Print this recipe]


Spicy Sriracha, fragrant ginger, nutty peanut oil - the flavors in this dish are ridiculously good. I also loved how the meaty mushrooms soaked up every bit of flavor, like a sponge. 

The best part about this dinner was that the leftovers the next day were even better. I recommend eating the leftovers with a fried egg on top...and more Sriracha.


1 comment:

  1. Yesterday, my son asked me to cook any kind of
    Recipes For Stir Fry for our lunch tomorrow because he had a visitor. I think this is the recipe I'm looking for and I'm sure they will like this one. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete