Friday, May 3, 2013

Frozen Mango-Jalapeno Margarita

I think I have a problem. The last few cocktail recipes I've made are spicy, and most of that spice has come from jalapenos. What can I say - I like my drinks to have a little spice to them.

So, when I received a bag of Zulka Pure Cane Sugar earlier this week (courtesy of RKPR Public Relations) - a new, all-natural, and unrefined granulated sugar - I knew I had to make a cocktail with some of it. I mean, it says right on the front "Great in drinks." How could I resist?


And with Cinco de Mayo being in the very near future, I thought it appropriate to use this sugar in a margarita.


Frozen Mango-Jalapeno Margarita
Yields: 1 cocktail
-1 tablespoon Zulka Pure Cane Sugar
-3 jarred jalapeno slices (or, a few slices of fresh jalapeno sans seeds)
-2 tablespoons lime juice
-2 ounces tequila
-Generous splash of Cointreau
-1 1/2 cups frozen mango chunks
Lime wedge and extra Zulka Pure Cane Sugar for rim of glass
Jalapeno slice for garnish (optional)

Directions:
1.) In a cocktail shaker, muddle together sugar, jalapeno slices, and lime juice for about 20 seconds. Add tequila and Cointreau and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
2.) Place mango chunks in a food processor or blender; add tequila mixture. Pulse or blend until mixture is smooth, about 20-30 seconds.
3.) Run a lime wedge along the rim of your glass. Pour some of the sugar in a shallow bowl, and dip glass into it so rim is covered with sugar. Pour mango mixture into rimmed glass, and garnish with a jalapeno slice.



I loved how the frozen mango made it evident that this margarita was made with real fruit versus an overly sugary mix. The jalapeno also helped to save this beverage from becoming too sweet - the sugar on the rim ended up being a welcome sweetness to help balance out the spice. Overall, this was one refreshing margarita with a lot of great flavors.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

The Zulka Pure Cane Sugar I received was complimentary, but, as always, the opinions expressed in this post are honest and 100 percent my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment