Friday, April 29, 2011

Quinoa with Black Beans and Salsa

If you know me at all, you know I love quick, easy, satisfying dinners - especially during the work week. I also love having canned beans and grains or rice on-hand at all times - it's amazing how many different dinners you can prepare with such cheap ingredients!

With all of that being said, I was relieved to find, after a long day of work, that I had a can of organic black beans and half a box of quinoa in my kitchen. After incorporating some salsa and cheese (how can you go wrong with salsa and cheese?), I had one delicious, slightly spicy dinner in under 30 minutes.




Quinoa with Black Beans and Salsa
Yields: 4 servings

-1 cup uncooked quinoa + 2 cups water
-1 cup of canned black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 cup salsa
-1 tbsp. chili powder
-1/2 tsp. cumin
-Dried cilantro
-Lime juice
-Salt and black pepper
-1/2 cup grated Colby Jack cheese (or any cheese you prefer)
-Avocado slices

Directions:
1.) Cook quinoa and water on stovetop according to directions on quinoa box.
2.) Once quinoa is cooked, add remaining ingredients and stir well.
3.) Stir in cheese until melted throughout; serve in a bowl with 3-4 slices avocado each.

Although this dish was delicious warm for dinner, it also made a great cold lunch the next day. And for four servings, the total cost of this meal was close to $2 - total. That's 5 cents per serving!

What affordable ingredients do you have on hand at all times?

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. i guess I'd have to say pasta and sauce! boring, but cheap and always on hand.

    this meal looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have lots of canned and dried beans, and frozen veggies on hand for quikck and easy meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my roommate just made a similar dish recently, one with cumin and blackbeans, and i have to say that combo just WORKS. your recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete