Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Everything-But-The Chickpeas and Curry

Last week, I had a smorgasbord of random food in my kitchen that needed to be used up...stat. The end result:



Everything-But-The Chickpeas and Curry
Yields: 2-3 servings
-2 tbsp. olive oil
-1/4 cup chopped onions
-2 cups chopped, frozen spinach, thawed
-1 cup frozen peas, thawed
-1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
-1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
-Shake of cayenne pepper
-1/2 tsp. cumin
-Salt and pepper, to taste
-Squirt lemon juice

Directions:
1.) Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a saute pan; add onions, and cook until almost translucent.
2.) Add spinach and peas, and cook until warm. Add chickpeas, and season with curry powder, cayenne, cumin salt and pepper. Add lemon juice; turn heat down to low and cook for about 5-7 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.) Serve with warmed, whole wheat naan bread.

I call it "Everything-But-The" Chickpeas and Curry because I feel like I literally threw everything but the kitchen sink into this dish. I even had a little bit of a green bell pepper left that I threw in there (but it didn't really add anything to the bowl). Despite the randomness of this meal, it ended up being really flavorful, slightly spicy, and full of varying textures - which I love.

What random meals have you made lately?

2 comments:

  1. I made a fantastic chickpea and quinoa curry for dinner last night that will hopefully be on the blog tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! Will definitely try it out.

    ReplyDelete