Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Second Helping: Curry Chicken with Red Pepper and Basil

My Curry Chicken Naan "Wraps" came out incredibly delicious, but, if you know me, you know I don't do leftovers more than two nights in a row. It just doesn't happen - my taste buds get bored too easily.

I had purchased a four pack of thin sliced chicken breasts, and only used two for the wraps. Since I had some naan leftover, I decided to season and cook the chicken the exact same way I did here (except I only baked the chicken in the oven for 5-6 minutes). While the chicken baked, I heated up some leftover, chopped red pepper in 2 tbsp. olive oil in a saute pan on low to medium heat, to make the peppers soft. I seasoned them lightly with salt and black pepper.

Once the chicken was done and cooled slightly, I cut both breasts into bite-sized chunks. I turned the peppers down to almost a simmer, and add the chicken. To give the dish a little extra heat, I added a few more dashes of the curry powder, crushed red pepper and cumin. I also had a ton of fresh basil from Wilson Farm in Lexington, so I chopped about 5 to 6 leaves of the basil and added them to the pan. I stirred everything together, and then added a few generous dollops of the leftover plain Greek yogurt.


After perusing some recipes online for curry chicken with basil, I noticed most of the recipes called for coconut milk, or something creamy. Since I had the yogurt, I thought it would be a good substitute for the "creamy" portion, and help keep the chicken and vegetables moist (which, thankfully, it did).


I had some chopped cucumber leftover from the tzatziki, too, so I added that to the top of each bowl as a garnish. The cucumber wasn't necessary, so don't bother adding it if you don't have any on hand.

I heated up the rest of the naan in the oven at 400* for 2 to 3 minutes, and used it to scoop up the creamy, spicy, fragrant chicken mixture. The red peppers still had some snap to them, which was a welcome texture with the moist chicken. The yogurt also helped to calm down the heat from the spices, without making it a flavorless dish.


What "Second Helping" recipes have you made recently?

1 comment:

  1. As usual, this looks great! With my crazy work schedule I haven't cooked much this week but thankfully I cooked a lot this weekend for great easy re-heated leftovers!

    ReplyDelete