Monday, June 4, 2012

Veggie Galaxy in Central Square

I had been hearing a lot of good things about Veggie Galaxy. Last week, I finally decided to check it out for myself.

Veggie Galaxy, located in Central Square, is a vegetarian diner and vegan bakery. The shiny, 50's-style diner decor was bustling with patrons on this particular Friday evening. Those waiting for a table - or a stool at the bar - were lucky enough to admire the cases of vegan baked goods at the front of the restaurant while they waited.

Z and I decided to snag a seat at the bar, since the wait was shorter for a bar seat. The bar was directly across from the open kitchen - the chef was about a foot away from us - immediately putting us at ease. It's always nice to be able to see your food being prepared out in the open.

I started my meal with a glass of Altoona Hills' Chardonnay ($6).


For an "appetizer," Z and I split the Salad of the Day (their typical salad prices range from $5.75-$7.25+). I don't remember the name of it, but it came with roasted pears, Swiss cheese, raspberries, red onions and fresh arugula.


I also forget what this salad was dressed with, but it was perfectly dressed - not too dry, not too soggy - and the combination of flavors throughout this salad was excellent. 

Veggie Galaxy's dinner entrees are all reminiscent of classic diner fare with a vegetarian twist. Some examples include Vegetarian Pot Pie ($11.95), Beer Battered House Smoked Tofu ($11.95) and a variety of burgers all named after surrounding squares, including Central (burger prices range from $8.95-$9.50+).

I ended up going with the The Club ($9.50), which was grilled housemade tempeh bacon, balsamic roasted tomato, romaine, pickled red onion, tarragon basil pesto and roasted garlic mayonnaise. 


As you can see, this was a massive sandwich (only half of it is pictured above). I ended up removing the middle piece of bread, mainly to save room for the sides of potato salad and lightly dressed arugula. The smoky tempeh bacon, crispy lettuce and fresh tomato in this sandwich was a fantastic combination, and an innovative twist on the classic club sandwich. Those who love the real thing will (and should) appreciate this healthier version for what it is: tasty, filling and full of flavor.

Our meal at Veggie Galaxy overall was a successful one. I can't wait to go back to try one of their milkshakes, as well as one of their mushroom chickpea burgers. 

Have you tried Veggie Galaxy yet? If yes, what's your review?

Veggie Galaxy on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

  1. This looks like some great comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went here a few months ago and loved it! I had a great tofu sandwich and their mimosa is pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard good things about this spot. Would love to check it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of tofu and fake meat, but they do have other items I'd love to try, like the baked beans and mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I assumed this restaurant wouldn't be good, but for no real reason! Looks like it definitely deserves a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I highly recommend trying it!

      Delete
  6. I always pass by it but still haven't gone in. I would like to try their milkshake too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That club sandwich sounds awesome! I've never tried this place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of the open-faced seitan meatloaf and vegan mac & cheese. The bakery is stellar.

    The burgers are super greasy so proceed with caution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, good to know about the burgers, K.C. Thanks for the warning!

      Delete
  9. I have been wanting to try this place since it opened. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete