Friday, December 23, 2011

Last Minute Gift: Organic Jams and Spreads

USDA Organic Certified. Gluten free. Great source of fiber, calcium and phosphorus. Now that's what I call a healthy product.

A few weeks ago, the kind folks at Slater Public Relations sent me a few samples of Rigoni di Asiago's jams to try - along with their Nocciolata hazelnut-cocoa spread. Earlier this week, Z and I sat down with a loaf of challah bread and sampled each one (our lives are really rough).


Among the flavors of jam we tried were strawberry, seville orange, wild blueberry, and wild berries (Rigoni di Asiago also makes flavors like pomegranate and fig, which I'm eager to try). Each jam was bursting with fresh-fruit flavor, and after comparing the ingredients with store-bought jams in our refrigerator, it was clear as to why.

Let's just say Rigoni di Asiago's jams have very short, legible ingredient lists. A 8.82 oz. jar of their jam contains 3 lbs. of 100% organic fruit, as well as 100% fruit juice and fruit pectin. The jams are also naturally sweetened with apple juice, instead of high fructose corn syrup or other, bad-for-you additives.

I enjoyed every flavor of the jams, especially the wild blueberry and strawberry. I have toast almost every morning with my breakfast, and I plan to slather quite a bit of the leftover jams (with some peanut butter) on each slice over the next few weeks.

In addition to the jams, Z and I also tried Rigoni di Asiago's Nocciolata - a spread that may remind of you Nutella. Made with Italian hazelnuts (from the Rome region), cocoa, cocoa butter, sunflower oil, naturally flavored vanilla, raw cane sugar and skim milk, this spread is just as natural and organic as the jams. Similar to the jams, I loved how the Nocciolata was not overly sweet - the natural flavors of the hazelnuts and cocoa were apparent, but were obviously not weighed down with any added sugars. This spread also had a stronger hazelnut flavor than Nutella, which I enjoyed.

Rigoni di Asiago's products can be purchased online (most products are currently on sale for just $5-$6) or at several local shoppes, such as Savenor's Market in Cambridge.

As a result of their natural, healthy ingredients, "real" flavor, and reasonable prices, I definitely plan to buy Rigoni di Asiago's products in the future.

Are you done with your holiday shopping? I just have a few more things to pick up!

Disclaimer: I received Rigoni di Asiago's products to sample free of charge, courtesy of Slater Public Relations. Despite their generosity, the opinions expressed in this post are honest and 100 percent my own.


1 comment: