Monday, December 5, 2011

Avocado & Olive Oil Cupcakes

When I made my spicy slow cooker chili last weekend, I knew I needed to make something to go alongside it. Last year for Christmas, my little sister had given me a cookbook called Cupcake Heaven, and I had yet to try a recipe from it. After flipping through the pages, I eventually came across a recipe for Avocado & Olive Oil Cupcakes. Improvising a little, based on what I had in my kitchen, I whipped up a batch.


Avocado & Olive Oil Cupcakes
Yields: 1 dozen
Adapted from Cupcake Heaven
-2 medium hass avocados, peeled and roughly chopped
-1 tsp. lemon juice
-2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
-Pinch of salt
-1 tbsp. baking powder
-2 lightly beaten extra large eggs
-1 cup soy milk
-4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
-4 tbsp. butter, melted
-1 1/2 tbsp. lemon zest
-1 tsp. black pepper

Directions:
1.) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
2.) Place the avocados in a small bowl with the lemon juice. Crush lightly with a fork.
3.) In a medium, bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder. Beat the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the flour mixture, stirring until nearly combined. Fold in the avocados. Do not over-mix.
4.) Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.Then, remove the cupcakes and cool on a rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.


The end result was a tasty, fluffy “cupcake” that was perfect for scooping up the chili. The cooling avocado was also a great complement to the spicy chili. I didn’t mash up my avocados to a smooth consistency, but I enjoyed the added texture – if you prefer “smoother” cupcakes, I suggest mashing the avocados more. 

Are you a fan of savory cupcakes? What’s a recent flavor you’ve tried?



7 comments:

  1. These might be a great substitute for a more traditional cornbread to accompany chili!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have ever had a savory cupcake, but these look right up my alley. I love to put avocado on chilli, so these look like an even better compliment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was fun to try something different from corn bread/adding avocado to the chili (which I normally would do)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of savory cupcakes but I am a huge fan of avocados!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking these were a little out there until I latched onto the savory aspect. They must have been perfect with chili! Let's see... corn muffins might be the only savory muffins I've had in a long time. I really want to make these muffins with feta, basil, and roasted red peppers in one of my cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, those muffins sound delicious! I hope you do make them...and then share the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an interesting dish! Sounds like a great compliment to a soup.

    ReplyDelete