Friday, March 4, 2011

Healthier 'Fast Food' at Tossed

Earlier this week, I was invited to try out Tossed, located in The Shops at the Prudential Center.


Tossed prides themselves on providing a healthier fast food option for individuals on-the-go. Their "claim to fame" is salads - with over 50 toppings to choose from, including plantain chips, wasabi peas and cayenne shrimp - but they also have breakfast items, paninis, crepe wraps and soups, to name a few.



When I visited Tossed, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Healthy fast food? Really? Can it actually exist? Upon entering the open "restaurant," the layout of the place was familiar. The toppings for the sandwiches and salads were spread out buffet style - dare I say, similar to Subway - which shows the consumer right off the bat that their ingredients are handled cleanly and safely. I really wanted to try something unique to Tossed, so I opted for the Tofu Crepe ($7.95) for dinner. The crepe was filled with tofu, shredded carrot, sugar snap peas, shiitake mushrooms and romaine hearts. The Tofu Crepe usually comes with honey sesame dressing, but the man at the cash register suggested I get their citrus chipotle dressing instead. Being a fiend for spice, I happily took his recommendation.


I know I shouldn't expect too much from a fast food-type eatery, but this crepe "wrap" was, unfortunately, rather disappointing. I had high hopes for Tossed, as I love the idea of providing healthier, on-the-go options - with plenty of clearly marked vegetarian dishes. The crepe itself was a tad too thick and spongy, and the entire wrap fell apart with a touch of my hand. The fillings in this wrap also had next to zero flavor, besides what the dressing provided. I will say, however, that I loved the addition of the sugar snap peas, and the crepe was perfectly, lightly dressed with the slightly smoky dressing.

I'm glad I checked out Tossed, although I know I will never order one of their crepe wraps again. I'm willing to give their paninis and breakfast wraps a chance - the Veggie Breakfast Wrap ($3.95), made with scrambled eggs, arugula, and peppers, sounds right up my alley.

Disclaimer: The generous folks at Tossed were kind enough to let me sample their crepe wrap free of charge. Despite their generosity, my opinions are 100 percent honest and my own. 

Do you think "fast food" can be healthy? Why or why not?

Tossed on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. That's too bad you didn't like the crepe wrap! They did a really good job with the salads, try one next time! I'm curious to try their soups too. I ordered one when I was there and they never gave it to me...but I was so full from my salad I didn't complain about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten a few emails to check Tossed out and I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. I'm still going to give it a try though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bummer about the wrap! oh well at least it was free ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to get over there and give it a try at some point too. I think there are a lot of places doing salad bars now... which can definitely be healthy if you're careful about what you put on your salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely worth a try...I just wasn't a fan of what I ordered. I'm interested to see your reviews once you visit!

    ReplyDelete