Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thai Tapas at Ronnarong

Last week, Z and I used an Eversave we had at Ronnarong in Union Square. We were both really excited to try out this place, not only because it's a restaurant we'd never been to before in Somerville, but also because the eatery serves up Thai tapas - and I can never turn down tapas.

For a Thai restaurant, Ronnarong also had a very impressive beer list, with a handful of solid, local craft brews. To start the meal, I enjoyed a Stone Levitation Ale, which was slightly dark and hoppy, but still smooth and refreshing.


I can't remember what beer Z ordered (because I'm the best girlfriend and blogger ever), but he clearly enjoyed his brew, too.


For our meal, we split a few tapas as well as an entree. To start, we had the Tofu Satay ($6).


The Tofu Satay was served with thick-cut, grilled zucchini and a slightly spicy sauce. The presentation was vibrant and immensely appetizing, and the dish as a whole was wonderfully light while still packed with flavor.

The second tapas we shared was the Thai Roll ($6), which came with your choice of chicken or veggie filling. Obviously, we opted for the veggie.


These crispy, flaky gems tasted marvelous dipped in the sweet-and-tangy sauce that accompanied them. Although these rolls were simple in flavors, they were addicting and fried to a crisp perfection.

The entree Z and I shared was the Green Curry ($12), which normally comes with roast duck - but, thankfully, Ronnarong is widely open to substitutions, so we got our Green Curry with tofu. 


Our Green Curry was served with sticky white rice (although we also had the choice of brown), and the spicy, borderline creamy sauce paired beautifully with the large chunks of tofu and slew of veggies (which included mushrooms and bamboo shoots). Z and I did discover a nice, long, black hair in the middle of our entree - but when a meal's this good, a simply - albeit unfortunate - mistake like that can easily be forgotten quickly. 

What's your favorite Thai restaurant in the Boston area?

Ronnarong on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

  1. These pictures of Z have me cracking up! I like heading next door to King and I for Thai food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the long black hair is freaking me out! ahhh. okay, the food still looks good but ew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! I'll have to check that place out :-) I remember contemplating that Eversave coupon but they are all too tempting I gotta slow down a little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't eat a lot of Thai food because it usually has fish sauce (which I'm allergic to) but I do like 9 Tastes in Harvard Square. In addition to yours, I've heard good reviews about Ronnarong too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bianca, I'll have to try 9 Tastes - I've yet to go there!

    And Daisy, the black hair was pretty nasty...we boldly ate around the spot it was removed from. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I'm with Daisy - I'm surprised the black hair in your food didn't bother you! I'm on a search for the best thai in Somerville/Cambridge. I like Pho n Rice, next to Petsi Pies. My favorite in Boston is House of Siam. I liked 9 Tastes too. I want to try the new place, Thelonious Monkfish?

    ReplyDelete