Monday, November 22, 2010

Everybody Has Their Bad Days

Sometimes, you can have a bad experience at a good eatery.

A few weeks ago, I stopped in at The Gingerbread Construction Co. in Winchester on my way to work. I was really eager to see what all the hype was about, as numerous people had told me I had to try Gingerbread Construction's muffins, coffee and - well, everything. However, upon immediately walking into the bakery I was greeted with a glare from the young girl behind the counter and nothing else. As I perused the bakery case, filled with glorious-looking, cream-filled muffins, thick gingerbread cookies, and intricately decorated gingerbread houses, another employee asked me what I wanted to order, in a tone that was basically asking me to hurry up. Displeased with the customer service, I only ordered an iced coffee and left sorely disappointed.

I was so disappointed, that I sent an email to The Gingerbread Construction Co., letting them know about the experience I had that morning. Part of me knew this place had to have great food (the coffee was good, too), and I also knew deep down that poor customer service wasn't something their management endorsed. Sure enough, within 24 hours, the General Manager wrote me back, apologized immensely for my bad first experience, and sent me a $10 gift card to give them another chance. 

For me, having a bad experience at a restaurant, bakery, store, etc. can happen to anyone - and not all employees are a reflection of that business. It's really all about how the management handles customer service issues, and The Gingerbread Construction Co. proved they care about their customers.

I went back to the Winchester location this past Saturday morning, and ordered a blueberry muffin and another iced coffee. Despite all the cream-filled muffin options, I'm not big on sweet breakfasts, and the blueberry muffin looked really tempting. I was thankful I did order it, as it was chocked full of fresh, Maine blueberries, and it wasn't overly sweet like some fruit-filled muffins can be.


I also loved how the top of the muffin was slightly crispy from being a little over-baked, in a good way.


In the end, I now see why the excitement exists around The Gingerbread Construction Co. Despite a bad first impression, the company showed me what they truly value: their customers.

Have you ever complained to a business about a bad experience you had? How was it resolved?

Gingerbread Construction Co on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

  1. I love it when a company responds right away to a customer service complaint. I'm a little shy about complaining about bad service but I always write a letter when I have really phenomenal service so that these individuals will be recognized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I usually let a place know if I'm unsatisfied and I've never been disappointed with that interaction. If I were the owner, I'd want to know! LOVE GCC, amazing carrot cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed with how the company handled the situation. The muffin looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you voiced out your disappointment and that when you came back, you ended up with a tasty muffin! I rarely say anything when it comes to bad service (one exception: when I had food poisoining) but I'm trying to be more vocal now - about both good and bad experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I totally agree with voicing a particularly positive experience, too. Great service is hard to come by, and deserves extra recognition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great example of customer service. I once got sick at a Boston restaurant during restaurant week and called the eatery to let them know (I thought it may have been due to a bad product of shipment) they sent me a gift certificate that more than covered what I had spent....I've enjoyed many more meals there as a result....every restaurant has a bad day....its how they handle it that matters.

    ReplyDelete