Thursday, November 4, 2010

Curry Turkey Meatloaf

This might sound crazy - but last night, I made turkey meatloaf with curry. The inspiration? Leftover, store-bought tzatziki dip.


It's cold in Boston, and last night, I was craving warm comfort food. I really wanted to use up some of this dip, and my mind immediately went to curry - then mashed potatoes - then meatloaf. So I did what I had to do.

Curry Turkey Meatloaf
Yields: 5-6 servings

-1 package lean ground turkey
-1/2 yellow onion, minced
-1/2 green pepper, chopped
-1 egg
-1 cup plain bread crumbs
-1 tbsp. curry powder
-1/2 tbsp. cumin
-1/2 tbsp. dried cilantro
-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
-1 tsp. minced garlic
-Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil

Directions: In a large bowl, mix all ingredients (except for olive oil) together with hands. Make sure everything is well blended; then add olive oil for extra moisture. Spread mixture evenly in a greased loaf pan, and cook in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until center is cooked thoroughly. Let rest for 5 minutes, covered, before slicing.


The end result was a moist, spicy, Indian-flavored meatloaf that knocked my socks off - and will knock your's off, too. The cayenne added a major kick to the dish, while the curry was perfectly spicy and slightly smoky. 


The tzatziki helped to calm down the spice in this dish, too - it added a cool, refreshing touch to the meatloaf. The peppers and onions also worked as great texture contrasts. I could have easily eaten this entire loaf to the face - and to think, the entire meal was inspired by one tub of store-bought tzatziki dip. 


What one ingredient resulted in a great meal in your kitchen recently?

8 comments:

  1. This sounds seriously awesome! I make meals like this all the time based on one ingredient that I'm dying to use up (or that I need to for expiration sake).

    BTW, I cracked up when I read: "I did what I had to do..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a creative idea!! love that you could have eaten the entire loaf to the face - cracks me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. is that the dip Carolan brought over? That was good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the dip Carolan brought over! It was divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, nice! i need to try meatloaf again, i was never much a fan when i was a kid :) i'm going to have to say espresso salt... made some divine caramel :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only recently started liking Indian food and this sounds like a good recipe for me to make at home. Plus I like anything with tzatziki!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good! I've been thinking of making a meatloaf lately and I like the angle you took on it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, SBK!
    Shannon: That espresso salt/caramel sounds spectacular!
    Bianca: This would be a great "transition" recipe - lots of Indian flavors, mixed into a recognizable American dish. Let me know what you think, if you end up making it!

    ReplyDelete