Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What's in my pantry?

What’s in my pantry? As a food writer, I get asked this question all too often – most people believe I have shelves full of gourmet products and delicacies. To be honest, I keep the items in my pantry (and fridge, and freezer) to a minimum. My friends can’t get over how empty my pantry always looks, but, to be honest, I have more than enough items to sustain me for at least a week (usually two). Items like pasta, mashed potatoes, etc. last me months at a time, as I normally cook for one. Since I do live on a budget, I am an avid coupon clipper and grocery-list-maker, which helps me to only buy items I need, without having excess products in my cabinets.

Just for fun, below is a list of food items currently in my pantry  - cutting down on quantity, by the way, also helps me buy quality products, vs. always having to buy store brand.

What's currently in my pantry:
-Trader Joe’s sweet & salty trail mix
-1 loaf of Pepperidge Farm Oatmeal Bread
-1 big box of Hannaford brand “Crispix”
-Half a box of whole wheat pasta
-Half a box of Market Basket brand orzo
-Box of instant mashed potatoes
-Huge box of Success Boil-in-bag Whole Grain Brown Rice
-Large jar of J.I.F. Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter
-1 bag of Stacy’s Sea Salt Pita Chips
-1 bag of Cape Cod Jalapeno & Aged Cheddar chips
-1 bag of Green Mountain Pumpkin Spiced coffee

*Note: I mention the size of some of these items, as the larger the product, the farther my dollar stretches. 

Now: Your turn! What’s in your pantry?

1 comment:

  1. ooh! this is fun!

    Simply JIF creamy PB
    loaf of Organic Oat Nut bread
    box of Ginger Snap cookies (gimme a break- Im pregnant!)
    box of Hannaford Fruit Rings for Ryder
    3 cans Progresso soup
    assorted cans of black and red beans
    couscous
    Nutrigrain strawberry bars
    2 cans tuna
    and a box of whole grain velveeta mac n cheese

    god I need to go shopping :)

    ReplyDelete