Friday, December 18, 2009

The perfect cookbook for any economical eater

Christmas came early for me this year: my roommate gave me a gift that any economical eater can use. Erica (my roommate) left for New York today for the holidays, but before she left, she gave me a copy of "The Frugal Foodie Cookbook," by Alanna Kaufman and Alex Small. The paperback holds "200 gourmet recipes for any budget," and, after flipping through it, is one of the few approachable cookbooks I have found. Many of the recipes have ingredients that most "everyday" pantries possess, but the recipes themselves are innovative and unique to the routine meatloaf and mashed potatoes. An even bigger bonus: Each recipe comes with a total price, number of servings, and price per serving. Talk about keeping your budget (and meals) intact. A few of the recipes I'm most excited to try are Slow-cooked Rosemary Scrambled Eggs, Chai Muffins with Figs and Oats, and Mediterranean-style Beef-stuffed Eggplant.

For now, however, I'm off to bake some Merry Berry Cream Cheese Squares for my family holiday party tomorrow (recipe to come).

Do you own "The Frugal Foodie Cookbook," or have you made/tasted any of the recipes? I'd love to hear your review!

No comments:

Post a Comment