Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Curry chicken with peach ginger jam

I recently did an article for The Nashua Telegraph regarding edible gifts, and one of the woman I spoke with, Jena, makes her own jam and preserves for her loved ones at Christmas. I have a killer savory tooth, so the peach ginger concoction she described sounded like a cool twist on the normally overly sweet jams. So, when I met Jena at the Nashua Tweetup last week, I was delighted when she brought me my own jar of peach ginger jam, made from Springdell Farms' peaches and seasoned with Penzeys' spices. The minute I got this gem home, I whipped it open, devoured the aroma with my nose, and planned dinner: curry chicken with peach ginger "sauce"; also inspired by Jena. Plus, I scored a handle of high quality olive oil at Zach's family's Yankee Swap, so I had to incorporate that, too. Check this baby out!



Curry Chicken with Peach Ginger Jam
Serves: 2

-Two thin chicken breasts (I got a huge bag of them at Trader Joe's for under $7 - will last me until 2011)
-Curry powder
-Chicken broth
-Olive oil
-1 tbsp. garlic, jarred
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Peach ginger jam (substitute: store bought peach jam mix with some fresh or ground ginger)
-Sherry wine vinegar (optional)

Directions: Heat up olive oil in a skillet. While heating, season chicken breasts with desired amount of curry, salt, and pepper. Add chicken breasts to pan and brown on each side. When almost done pan frying, add a few splashes of chicken broth, a quick splash of sherry vinegar, and garlic. Let cook for one more minute, then cover pan with tin foil and place in 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. When done, immediately coat each piece of chicken with two generous spoonfuls of peach ginger jam.




On the side, I made some comforting, instant mashed potatoes (best packaged food on the market, if you ask me), and I roasted some grape tomatoes I had to use up with olive oil, garlic, basil and parsley.

This dinner was incredibly easy, and delicious. With the help of the broth and sherry, the chicken was insanely moist, and the spicy curry paired perfectly with the sweet and savory jam. Thanks again, Jena, for sharing it with me!

What's your favorite edible gift to give/receive at the holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment