Thursday, January 16, 2014

Kale, Onion, and Sausage Frittata

For Christmas, my parents gave me and Z a cast-iron pan. To say I was excited would be an understatement - I've been wanting one for quite some time now.

When we opened this gift, I knew the first thing I wanted to make in it: a frittata. And that's exactly what I did last weekend.

For this frittata, I used a combination of eggs and egg whites - Z is trying to cut back on his cholesterol intake, so we always have egg whites in the fridge. However, feel free to use just eggs for this recipe.

Frittatas are also a great way to use up leftover veggies and meats/veg-friendly "meats," so feel free to change this recipe up as you see fit. 

Kale, Onion, and Sausage Frittata | The Economical Eater

Kale, Onion, and Sausage Frittata
Yields: 3-4 servings
Adapted from Food Network
-8 large eggs (I used a combination of eggs and egg whites - about 50/50)
-2 tablespoons whole milk 
-Salt and pepper
-1 tablespoon butter
-1/2 yellow onion, diced
-1 to 1 1/2 cups baby kale 
-1 vegetarian Italian sausage, chopped
-Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
-Pepper jack cheese (optional)

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2.) In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
3.) Melt butter in a cast-iron pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it begins it brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add kale, sausage, and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for an additional minute. Pour the eggs over the mixture.
4.) Pull the edges away from the sides of the pan with a spatula so the eggs flow to the bottom of the pan. When the frittata is half set, transfer the pan to the heated oven. 
5.) Bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese, and put the pan back in the oven for an additional 3-4 minutes, until cheese is melted and frittata is puffed and golden.


Paired with some toast and hot sauce, this was one incredible (and filling!) brunch.

What else should I make in my cast-iron pan?


6 comments:

  1. That frittata looks delicious! Great way to break in your pan. You could always do some sort of fruit crisp in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting a cast iron pan, too! You should try a dessert recipe on it next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of doing a dessert and/or fruit crisp next! Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, that's a beautiful frittata - great way to initiate your new pan! One of my favorite childhood memories is of my mother's pineapple upside down cake baked in a cast-iron skillet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I love fritattas for brunch entertaining!

    ReplyDelete