Monday, April 22, 2013

Shake Shack

Yesterday, I drove 30 minutes and waited in line for 45+ minutes for this:


Yes, I finally went to Shake Shack in Chestnut Hill. What you see pictured above is the 'Shroom Burger ($6.95), a fried portobello mushroom filled with melted muenster and cheddar cheeses, and topped with lettuce, tomato, and ShackSauce (whatever that is).


The burger's size was between a slider and a regular burger, which I appreciated - no one needs to eat eight serving sizes' worth of a fried burger stuffed with cheese. Its smaller size also helped me to appreciate its crispy, non-greasy exterior and the obviously good quality cheese that bursted out with every bite.

I washed my burger down with a ShackMeister Ale ($5), a beer made exclusively for Shake Shack by Brooklyn Brewery (it tastes just like their pale ale).


Surprisingly, your burger doesn't come with fries, so you have to order them separately. I went for a side of the plain fries ($2.70), but you could also get Cheese Fries ($3.70).


The fries were the perfect complement to my cheese-filled burger. The crinkle cut texture reminded me of the mass amounts of French fries I ate throughout my childhood, and every bite was wonderfully salty.

I didn't get a shake or any ice cream, but both of my dining companions ordered Concretes, which are dense frozen custards blended at high speed with mix-ins. They were both big fans, so I definitely plan to order one the next time I visit.

Also, just FYI: if you're not ordering food (just drinks and/or shakes and ice cream), there is a separate express line, so you don't have to wait in the massive line.

Overall, I was a fan of Shake Shack and definitely plan to make the 30-minute trip again in the near future!

Two unrelated notes:

Massachusetts friends: Governor Deval Patrick has asked residents to observe a moment of silence at 2:50 p.m. today, the time the first of the two bombs exploded near the Boston Marathon finish line last week. Bells will ring across the city and state after the minute-long tribute to the victims.

Remember my Sambazon juices and smoothies giveaway? I finally chose a winner (via Random.org): KrysR! Congrats, Krys - please email me at theeconomicaleater@gmail.com to claim your prize within 48 hours.

Shake Shack on Urbanspoon


5 comments:

  1. Wow that 'shroom burger looks really good. I may have to try one of those next time I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, that shroom looks fantastic!! might be trying that when i make it out that way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm looks so good. I haven't been over yet - waiting for a warm day to celebrate the start of summer. I hope soon!

    ReplyDelete