Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chickpea Burgers with Vegan Cilantro Mayonnaise

Normally, vegan versions of dairy or egg products make me a little sad. I totally support vegans and their diets, but for me, the thought of altering perfectly good cheese or eggs (especially) to make them vegan is just downright unfortunate. 

So, when Nasoya contacted me a few weeks ago, asking if I'd try their reformulated vegan mayonnaise products, I was skeptical - yet intrigued. I'm a big fan of Nasoya's products, so I was willing to give these vegan versions of the egg yolk-filled classic a try.

Nasoya sent me a jar of their NayoWhipped as well as a jar of their Nayonaise (they also have Nayonaise Light). All products are 100 percent vegan, are a good source of vitamin B12, and are gluten-free and cholesterol-free. 

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you probably know that the first thing I look at when reviewing a product is the ingredient list. Illegible and long lists of ingredients do not fly with me. Thankfully, Nasoya's vegan mayonnaises have mostly "normal" ingredients, and the list isn't too long (although, it's much longer than a traditional mayo recipe).

For example, here are the ingredients in NayoWhipped:

Soy milk, expeller pressed soybean oil, vinegar, dried cane syrup, salt, mustard flour, spices, xantham gum, guar gum, sodium alginate, lemon juice concentrate, natural flavors, garlic powder, paprika, turmeric, and vitamin B12.

I'm not sure how all of those ingredients come together to taste like traditional mayonnaise, but the NayoWhipped really does. I ended up using the NayoWhipped as a condiment on my chickpea burgers a few weeks ago, but I added a few extra ingredients to jazz it up a bit. Z said he never would have guessed it was vegan mayonnaise - it really does taste that close to the "regular" version. We were both impressed!


Vegan Cilantro Mayonnaise
Yields: 1/2 cup
-1/3 cup fresh cilantro 
-1/2 cup NayoWhipped
-1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
-Generous squirt lemon juice
-Salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions:
1.) Pulse above ingredients together in a food processor until well mixed. Pour into a small bowl and cover with saran wrap; place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, to allow flavors to mesh together.
2.) Slather on burger buns and serve with homemade chickpea burgers.


The brightness from the cilantro and lemon juice really added nice flavor to this already-tasty mayo. I really enjoyed how it complemented the spicy chickpea burgers, too. I'm excited to try the Nayonaise in this Tempeh 'Chicken' Salad - if it's anything like the NayoWhipped, I have a feeling no one will be able to tell the difference.

Nasoya's vegan mayonnaises are hitting stores nationwide anyday now, and will retail at approximately $4.69 for a 15-ounce jar, and $6.99 for a 30-ounce jar. The price is a bit steep, but worth it if you're looking for a tasty vegan alternative.

These products were complimentary, but, as always, the opinions expressed in this post are honest and 100 percent my own.


2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a cilantro mayo or nayo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a big chickpea burger fan and of doctoring up mayo. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete