Thursday, October 28, 2010

Jazzy Tuna Melts

I was not feeling too hot yesterday. I was supposed to meet some friends for dinner at Blue Ribbon BBQ, but my bed and pajamas were desperately calling my name.

By the time I got home from work, I was dying for some comfort food. All I had for a quick meal was leftover tuna and bread, so I knew I wanted to make a tuna melt - but also wanted to jazz it up a little. While I brainstormed ideas, I popped some oven-baked fries in the oven, and got to work on my tuna melt.

I only had enough leftovers for one sandwich, so I added chopped jalapenos (from the jar), chili powder, black pepper, a little salt, and a squirt of lemon juice to the remainder of my tuna. I generously spread it across some whole wheat bread, and placed a slice of cheddar cheese on top.


I wasn't in the mood for a greasier, pan-fried sandwich, so I simply wrapped this up in tin foil and popped it in the oven with the potatoes for about 10 minutes - right when the potatoes had about 10 more minutes to cook. 

The end result was a cheesy, slightly spicy, flavorful tuna melt that was perfectly toasted, without being greasy or overly filling. 


This Jazzy Tuna Melt ended up being a quick, delicious and very affordable meal - and was the perfect comfort food after a long day of not feeling well.


What's your favorite quick dinner to make during the work week?

4 comments:

  1. YUM!! and PS- a freezer MUST have for quick yummy dinners during the week- Amy's burritos- less than $2 a piece, and we always have some oven baked fries or brown rice in the house to add as a side. They have cheddar ones and dairy free ones. YUM YUM YUM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear that this week has been crazy for all of us! I've been eating lots of frozen leftovers this week from previously made meals because I just haven't had the time or desire to cook this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa - those burritos sound divine! And they're organic too, right?

    Michelle - sorry you're having a crazy week as well! We'll both need to make up some kitchen time this weekend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually made grilled cheese last night because I was craving comfort food and it was a quick! Your tuna melt sounds a bit healthier!

    ReplyDelete